iStatServer on unRAID?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Let me double-check to see if RapidShare did something special to it.

Nope. It's fine.

You're browsing to that link with a web browser, and then jumping through the hoops that RapidShare requires to be able to download the file, right?

The downloaded file from RapidShare is fine.

root@Reaver:/cache/.downloads# ls -al iStat.tgz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 download download 411148 2010-03-03 20:56 iStat.tgz
root@Reaver:/cache/.downloads# tar tvf iStat.tgz
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/etc/
-rw-r--r-- root/root       931 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/etc/istat.conf
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/bin/
-rwxr-xr-x root/root   1106645 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/bin/istatd
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/man/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/man/man1/
-rw-r--r-- root/root      1139 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/man/man1/istatd.1
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/man/man5/
-rw-r--r-- root/root      1680 2010-03-03 19:41 ./usr/local/share/man/man5/istat.conf.5

It was the browser, switched to Firefox and got it fine. Thanks much again!

When I try to run the daemon, I get the following message:

root@tank:/usr/local# /usr/local/bin/istatd

/usr/local/bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/local/bin/istatd)

/usr/local/bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/local/bin/istatd)

/usr/local/bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/local/bin/istatd)

root@tank:/usr/local# ls -l /usr/lib/libxml2.*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1439022 Nov 20  2008 /usr/lib/libxml2.a

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    801 Nov 20  2008 /usr/lib/libxml2.la*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      17 Mar  3 23:11 /usr/lib/libxml2.so -> libxml2.so.2.6.32*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      17 Mar  3 23:11 /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 -> libxml2.so.2.6.32*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1155340 Nov 20  2008 /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.6.32*

root@tank:/usr/local# ldd bin/istatd

bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by bin/istatd)

bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by bin/istatd)

bin/istatd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by bin/istatd)

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb772b000)

libsensors.so.4 => /usr/lib/libsensors.so.4 (0xb771a000)

libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0xb75ff000)

libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb75eb000)

libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7505000)

libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb74df000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb74d4000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7387000)

libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7383000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb772c000)

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, here it goes. The unmenu-package.conf file is for the new unMenu 1.3. Copy it under /boot/unmenu and reload the Package Manager, and it will shop up in the list. Then click on download and install. Then adapt /usr/local/etc/istat.conf to your setup and copy it to persistent /boot/config so that changes won't get lost as during next reboot it will be automatically copied from /boot/config to /usr/local/etc. Start the daemon from your go script by executing "/usr/local/bin/istatd -d"

First time after editing /usr/local/etc/istat.conf don't forget to pkill istat and then start the daemon manually again by calling /ust/local/bin/istatd -d

First time after installation check by calling "ldd -d /usr/local/bin/istatd" that all necessary libraries are installed. You need libxml2 installed http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz it is part of the PHP package. 

Have fun!

Edit2: the latest much more simplified version can be downloaded here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5204.msg55946#msg55946

Ok, here it goes. The unmenu-package.conf file is for the new unMenu 1.3. Copy it under /boot/unmenu and reload the Package Manager, and it will shop up in the list. Then click on download and install. Then adapt /usr/local/etc/istat.conf to your setup and copy it to persistent /boot/config so that changes won't get lost as during next reboot it will be automatically copied from /boot/config to /usr/local/etc. Start the daemon from your go script by executing "/usr/local/bin/istatd -d"

First time after editing /usr/local/etc/istat.conf don't forget to pkill istat and then start the daemon manually again by calling /ust/local/bin/istatd -d

First time after installation check by calling "ldd -d /usr/local/bin/istatd" that all necessary libraries are installed. You need libxml2 installed http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz it is part of the PHP package. 

Have fun!

Edit: Direct link to the package itself: http://members.chello.at/starcat/packages/istat-0.5.6.tgz

You are getting quite good at this...

Question?  Are the only variables needing editing in the istat.conf file these 4????

network_addr          192.168.50.67

network_port          5109

server_code            12345

monitor_disk            ( /mnt )

Or are there others???

The new package manager has the ability to add edit configuration fields.  It might make this really slick.  (And I don't even own an iPhone)  If you are interested, I can type up a description on how they can be used in the next day or two.  (busy weekend with the Easter Holiday...)

Also, you can add just four lines to your new package.conf file and it will download and install libxml2, that way you don't need to install php to get it.

These are the 4 lines you need to add after the first PACKAGE_URL lines.

PACKAGE_EXTRA_URL http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz

PACKAGE_EXTRA_FILE libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz

PACKAGE_EXTRA_MD5 1ff004fc8982a43e379051b778238ac4

and in the section where you have the installation lines, a second installpkg line to install it.

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION installpkg libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz

As I said, you are getting good at this.  Learning a bit more with every package-manager file you create.  Just think of how many people will be eternally grateful at how they can keep track of their server remotely.

Joe L.

Question?  Are the only variables needing editing in the istat.conf file these 4????

network_addr           192.168.50.67

network_port           5109

Or are there others???

You can comment out the first of these 4, to make your config file server independent:

#network_addr           192.168.50.67

My main edits are as follows (and they, too, are server independent):

monitor_disk             ( /mnt/user /dev/md1 /dev/md2 /dev/md3 /dev/md4 /dev/md5 /dev/md6 /dev/md7 /dev/md8 /dev/md9 /dev/md10 /dev/md11 /dev/md12 /dev/md13 /dev/md14 /dev/md15 /dev/md16 /dev/md17 /dev/md18 /dev/md19 /dev/md20 )

disk_rename_label        /mnt/user  "unRAID"

Other than these, I've only changed <server_code>.

network_addr           192.168.50.67

network_port           5109

Or are there others???

You can comment out the first of these 4, to make your config file server independent:

#network_addr           192.168.50.67

My main edits are as follows (and they, too, are server independent):

monitor_disk             ( /mnt/user /dev/md1 /dev/md2 /dev/md3 /dev/md4 /dev/md5 /dev/md6 /dev/md7 /dev/md8 /dev/md9 /dev/md10 /dev/md11 /dev/md12 /dev/md13 /dev/md14 /dev/md15 /dev/md16 /dev/md17 /dev/md18 /dev/md19 /dev/md20 )

disk_rename_label        /mnt/user  "unRAID"

Other than these, I've only changed <server_code>.

Way cool....

Guys, thanks for all the help and suggestions. Attached the new conf file using variables. You don't need to do anything outside of unMenu 1.3 anymore.

Install instructions with unMenu 1.3

1. if you already had an installation of istat: remove everything istat related from /boot/packages and /boot/unmenu directories and continue with step 2.

2. if installing for the first time: copy attached conf file to /boot/unmenu directory on your USB stick containing unRAID. Then go to the Package Manager in unMenu (or reload page), set variables, install and enable auto-start if desired. Have fun and enjoy.

The package containing the istat binaries itself would be automatically downloaded by unMenu, so there is no need to download it manually. However, it is still available from: http://members.chello.at/starcat/packages/istat-0.5.6.tgz

Install instructions without unMenu

Look here in case you want to install iStatServer but don't want to install unMenu: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5204.msg56687#msg56687 however I highly recommend installing unMenu 1.3 because it adds many more necessary features to unRAID itself!

istat-unmenu-package.conf

Guys, thanks for all the help and suggestions. Attached the new conf file using variables. You don't need to do anything outside of unMenu 1.3 anymore.

Install instructions: copy attached conf file to /boot/unmenu on USB stick, go to Package Manager in unManu (or reload page), set variables, install and enable auto-start if desired. Have fun and enjoy.

Edit: Only thing left is perhaps checking for existing user and group istat prior performing useradd and groupadd, however this is cosmetics.

The package itself hasn't changed and is still available from: http://members.chello.at/starcat/packages/istat-0.5.6.tgz

Edit2: inserted "2>/dev/null" in the conf file to both useradd and groupadd commands.

Sweet. Thanks starcat

Wow, you learn quick.  I'm very happy to have you on the team.

You did not answer earlier what happens if you list all the "md" devices but do not have all the disks in your server.  Does it skip /dev/md18, etc.. if you do not have them installed?

If it ignores the devices not installed then I can see why you did not enable the editable field for the monitored disks.

Also, a usability tip.  I know you supplied a default value, but you do not describe it, only the alternative.  

Example, you have

Mount Path Label||vLABEL=1||Set to 0 if you wish to see device name istead of mount path during monitoring.

Once a person sets the value to 0 they have no idea of what the permitted values might be.

I would suggest as an improvement in usability

Mount Path Label (0/1)||vLABEL=1||Set to 0 if you wish to see device name. Set to 1 to see mount path during monitoring.

There are a few misspellings you might want to fix in your next version.  They do not affect the installation, but might make it easier for someone whose not a native English speaker.  (hint search for "Labell")

Thanks again...

Joe L.

You did not answer earlier what happens if you list all the "md" devices but do not have all the disks in your server.  Does it skip /dev/md18, etc.. if you do not have them installed?

Yes, it only shows information for specified locations that are either raw devices or mounted file systems.