iStatServer on unRAID?

have all the disks in your server.  Does it skip /dev/md18, etc.. if you do not have them installed?

If it ignores the devices not installed then I can see why you did not enable the editable field for the monitored disks.

Joe, yes, all devices not being used are simply ignored. I though about having them listed and editable but it is really not necessary. Possible though.

Suggestions implemented in the above download. Too quick on typing, sorry for the typos and thanks much again! I very much like the new unMenu 1.3, great improvement and a great tool, it should be default with unRAID! We just a need a std repository where all conf files and package versions should reside to not break download links.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have all the disks in your server.  Does it skip /dev/md18, etc.. if you do not have them installed?

If it ignores the devices not installed then I can see why you did not enable the editable field for the monitored disks.

Joe, yes, all devices not present are simply ignored. I though about having them listed and editable but it is really not necessary. Possible though.

Suggestions implemented in the above download. Too quick on typing, sorry for the typos and thanks much again!

No problem.   As I said, you are quick to learn.  The new package-manager features are really nice, as I'm sure you've discovered.

You might edit the first post in this thread where you posted the first .conf file and delete the attachment, and edit the text to point them to the latest downloadable version.

Don't feel to bad about the typos.  I know I make them too.  

I have years of human factors experience... (Or rather, many of the projects I worked on had a Human-Factors team member.   They got to teach me the obvious, or rather, what was obvious to them after getting a Doctorate in Human-Factors-Engineering :-)  Eventually I learned a bit about what helps, and what does not.  I'm still learning... )

Joe L.

We just a need a std repository where all conf files and package versions should reside to not break download links.

The .conf files are now easy since I have google.code configured for the source files and not just for the initial download.

Look here: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/browse/#svn/trunk

The package files are a lot harder.  The links can go stale.  It is one reason why I now show them in the 1.3 package manager.  If a download fails, you can try clicking on the given URL.  If you can't download the file, then unRAID will not be able to either.  At least now, with the ability for unMENU to update itself once we get a new valid link I can update the .conf file, upload it, and then upload a new "release"list" file.

Have you found the "Check for unMENU Updates" button on the User-Scripts page?  It uses the "release_list" file, also stored on google.code. 

Going forward, users do not have to search for an updated package.conf file (as long as I keep the files on google.code updated as needed).  In the same way, if I make an improvement to any unMENU plug-in, or create a new plug-in, the ability to install them with two button clicks is pretty decent.  (The first click checks for available unMENU updates, the second click installs those available.  That would then give you a .conf file with an updated link if one changes. )

Very soon we'll outgrow the current scheme of listing all the available packages on a single page.  They'll just be too many.  We'll need a way to only list those desired... as many will be of no interest to the bulk of unRAID users.  I'm really waiting for unRAID 5.0 and its new ability to take plug-ins.  Then, the package management can be ported to it.  (and the exact same package.conf files used by it)  I'm certain it will be a lot easier for me to put together a nice user-interface using ruby/Sinatra vs. "awk"

Joe L.

I've updated to the most recently posted istat-unmenu-package.conf and it doesn't seem to be launching successfully anymore at boot.

unMENU's package area reports "Installed, but version is different. Current version='' expected '0.5.6'"

My syslog contains this entry:

Apr  4 11:36:54 Tower unmenu[1874]: /usr/local/bin/istatd: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Apr  4 11:39:08 Tower last message repeated 2 times

I think it's something to do with the libxml, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I just manually removed everything iStat related, including config files, then reinstalled via the unRAID package manager, and all is well. Going to do one reboot and be certain, but so far it looks good.

Good step! Perhaps you had both .conf files laying around. The older .conf do not have dependency to libxml2 and do not automatically download it leaving you with no installed xml2 library for istat to run.

I updated the install instructions in http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5204.msg55946#msg55946

That's almost certain what happened since the errors I was seeing were libxml2 related.

A few config ideas for the user configurable variables in unMENU's package installer:

• Allowing /mnt/user0 instead of /mnt/user (user0 is user shares sans cache drive, which might show more accurate free space for some users)

• A yes or no flag for showing all the various /dev/md* drives (personally, I like to hide them as I exclusively use user shares, and each individual drive is excessive for my needs)

• Configurable port setting (default is 5109)

• A yes or no flag for showing flash drive free space (/boot)

• A yes or no flag for showing cache drive free space (/mnt/cache)

Clunk, I will probably suply a free editable field for all the devices to be monitored. This will solve the issue for customizing all the different drives types, what to see and what to hide. I will do the port number editable too.

In the mean time feel free to edit /usr/local/etc/istat.conf an set the values as you need them. After editing stop (pkill istat) and restart the daemon (/usr/local/bin/istatd -d).

I've updated to the most recently posted istat-unmenu-package.conf and it doesn't seem to be launching successfully anymore at boot.

unMENU's package area reports "Installed, but version is different. Current version='' expected '0.5.6'"

My syslog contains this entry:

Apr  4 11:36:54 Tower unmenu[1874]: /usr/local/bin/istatd: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Apr  4 11:39:08 Tower last message repeated 2 times

I think it's something to do with the libxml, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I am guessing you must be using an older version of unMENU.  You must be using the new 1.3 version of unMENU to use this iStatServer package.

You can download the unmenu_install script from here:

http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/files/unmenu_install13.zip

Unzip into your existing unmenu directory.  

Then run

unmenu_install -u

Then, stop and re-start your unmenu process

killall awk

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

If you do not have the new version, the libxml support library would not have been installed, and you would have gotten the error you described.

Joe L.

I added the iStatServer package to the google.code archive.  I made a tiny change to a few lines in case someone with an older version of unMENU attempts to install it.  They won't see the edit fields to configure it, but the "sed" commands should put in the correct "default" values.

The lines changed were like this:

I added the code to supply a default value if the variable was not defined like this:

Old:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "disk_rename_label /mnt/user \"${vUSERLABEL}\"" >> /usr/local/etc/istat.conf

New:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "disk_rename_label /mnt/user \"${vUSERLABEL-unRAID}\"" >> /usr/local/etc/istat.conf

The "-unRAID" added in the variable supplies a default value if ${vUSERLABEL} evaluates to a null string. (in other words, the older version of unMENU's package manager is used, and the PACKAGE_VARIABLE lines not recognized, the value after the "-" will be used.)

Joe L.

I tried to install this via unmenu and I got a message that it is installed but I'm running a newer version, something  about 0.5.6 or something like that. I have unmenu 1.3 and unraid 4.5.1. I'll get the exact message and post it (doesn't seem to be an error as such), though I can't get my iphone to see the server too. I'll reboot it and try again as I just installed it. I'll let you know whether it works or not.

Update: I just got iStat Server to work on my test rig. It is nothing short of being Very Impressive. For some reason, the install for iStat Server needed me to install the libxml2-2.6.31 package (I thought that it would of installed this as a dependancy, was it suppose to?). Anyways, I got it installed with the steps below:

cd /boot/packages

wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz

echo 'installpkg /boot/packages/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz' >> /boot/config/go

Upon doing the above, the iStat Server was only then able to install and run successfully. I must say that I've very happy with getting this going and I will have to no doubt have to get this running on my production rig. I am very pleased with this and a Thanks is well deserved to starcat and all those who contributed to this thread.

I tried to install this via unmenu and I got a message that it is installed but I'm running a newer version, something  about 0.5.6 or something like that. I have unmenu 1.3 and unraid 4.5.1. I'll get the exact message and post it (doesn't seem to be an error as such), though I can't get my iphone to see the server too. I'll reboot it and try again as I just installed it. I'll let you know whether it works or not.

Is there a special reason for installing that particular version?  

The reason I'm asking is that there are a couple of other unRAID addons that install the current libxml2-2.7.x,

so reverting to the earlier version the way you did it may break those addons.  Won't iStat work if you do this?

wget 'ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/l/libxml2-*.t?z'

Update: I just got iStat Server to work on my test rig. It is nothing short of being Very Impressive. For some reason, the install for iStat Server needed me to install the libxml2-2.6.31 package (I thought that it would of installed this as a dependancy, was it suppose to?). Anyways, I got it installed with the steps below:

cd /boot/packages

wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz

echo 'installpkg /boot/packages/libxml2-2.6.31-i486-2.tgz' >> /boot/config/go

Upon doing the above, the iStat Server was only then able to install and run successfully. I must say that I've very happy with getting this going and I will have to no doubt have to get this running on my production rig. I am very pleased with this and a Thanks is well deserved to starcat and all those who contributed to this thread.

I tried to install this via unmenu and I got a message that it is installed but I'm running a newer version, something  about 0.5.6 or something like that. I have unmenu 1.3 and unraid 4.5.1. I'll get the exact message and post it (doesn't seem to be an error as such), though I can't get my iphone to see the server too. I'll reboot it and try again as I just installed it. I'll let you know whether it works or not.

The package-manager did not deal well with existing packages where an additional dependency  was subsequently added.  I think I fixed that yesterday, so you should be able to update your unMENU installation and then, if you desire, re-install from there.   

You should be able to download the newest unmenu_install from here: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/

unzip it and put it in your /boot/unmenu directory.  Then:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -u

Then, if it moves your edited istat server package to an old_unmenu sub-directory, you'll need to re-configure its config variables and re-install it.

( It probably will not move it, as it should ignore the lines in the .conf file you edited to configure it for your own use.)

Glad the iStat package is working for you.  (I don't have an iPhone, so I can't help you test it)

Joe L.

Is there a special reason for installing that particular version?  

The reason I'm asking is that there are a couple of other unRAID addons that install the current libxml2-2.7.x,

so reverting to the earlier version the way you did it may break those addons.  Won't iStat work if you do this?

wget 'ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/l/libxml2-*.t?z'

What packages are you referring to?  I've gotten away from using slackware/current since the links change too frequently and everything broke really bad when they started only using the new .txz compression format.  That is only supported on the newest releases of unRAID.  (And many people are still running older versions of unRAID that only support .tgz install packages.) 

What packages are you referring to?

unTorrent for one.  I don't remember why, but I had to include libxml2-2.7.3 to make it work.

I've gotten away from using slackware/current since the links change too frequently and everything broke really bad when they started only using the new .txz compression format.  That is only supported on the newest releases of unRAID.  (And many people are still running older versions of unRAID that only support .tgz install packages.) 

I posted unTorrent in .tgz format, and it was tested to work well with old versions of unRAID, back to 4.3.3 and 4.2.4.

everything broke really bad when they started only using the new .txz compression format.  That is only supported on the newest releases of unRAID.  (And many people are still running older versions of unRAID that only support .tgz install packages.) 

That's easily remedied by installing the xz package and updating the installpkg script on those unRAID versions that don't know the .txz format.

We can even make that a unMENU addon.