Turbo write

RobJ

9 minutes ago, entourage2111 said:

If in the shares settings, use cache is set to yes, does the 'auto' setting  for write mode in disk settings bypass the cache if all the drives are spinning at the time of write?

Install Auto Turbo Mode from Apps for it to switch back and forth between turbo mode and non-turbo mode based on # of drives spinning

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

That will switch turbo mode, it won't change cache:yes to cache:no, but I suppose you could modify it so that was an option.

Did you really think that I actually read the post I replied to?!?!  Brain tends to be a bit on the fuzzy side every January 1st morning.  (Never quite figured out why)

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That will switch turbo mode, it won't change cache:yes to cache:no, but I suppose you could modify it so that was an option.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking. Use cache normally but if it detects i.e. 7 drives spun up, then cache = no and use turbo write. 

I guess it's me being very picky though, only a few clicks to operate. 

2 hours ago, entourage2111 said:

If in the shares settings, use cache is set to yes, does the 'auto' setting  for write mode in disk settings bypass the cache if all the drives are spinning at the time of write?

No effect on cache use except Turbo would improve mover performance. 

5 hours ago, entourage2111 said:

I am reasonably certain that the auto setting has no effect on whether cache will be used.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you add a automatic way of enabling it while mover runs... because i cant use your shedule because i use a script to run it when cache is more then x% full.

Also i dont know what to enter at  "Disks Allowed To Be Spun Down Before Invoking Turbo Mode:", ive set it to 1.

I have one parity, 10 array disks and 2 cache ssds.

#!/usr/bin/php
<?PHP
$moveAt = 80;    # Adjust this value to suit.

$diskTotal = disk_total_space("/mnt/cache");
$diskFree = disk_free_space("/mnt/cache");
$percent = ($diskTotal - $diskFree) / $diskTotal * 100;

if ( $percent > $moveAt ) {
  exec("/usr/local/sbin/mover");
}
?>

Edited by nuhll
6 hours ago, Squid said:

That script was long replaced by the Mover tuning plugin.  But sure, I can add that if I remember in a couple of days

Oh... cool, i ll add that script, but the request is still legit i guess.

I changed it to 2, what is a good option in your mind? 

Youve did so many great plugins, thank you very much.

Edited by nuhll
  • 8 months later...

This is a great plugin for speeding up writes. However I've found that it always keeps my drives spinning no matter what.

I think it's because there's constantly writes to my domains share (using a VM always on) which seems to keep the other disks always on due to reading the data from them as part of the reconstruct write.

How do you use this plugin with a VM always running (therefore performing writes all the time).

40 minutes ago, vayidm said:

This is a great plugin for speeding up writes. However I've found that it always keeps my drives spinning no matter what.

I think it's because there's constantly writes to my domains share (using a VM always on) which seems to keep the other disks always on due to reading the data from them as part of the reconstruct write.

How do you use this plugin with a VM always running (therefore performing writes all the time).

Your appdata, domains, and system share belong on cache.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your appdata, domains, and system share belong on cache.

Right I see, I only have a 256GB SSD cache and the domains share is too large to be on there. The appdata and system share fit on it fine.

I've been searching for a plugin or a method to keep hot files on the SSD cache and for them to be written back to the array at regular intervals to try and allow me to use this plugin effectively but there currently doesn't seem to be such a thing. I guess I'll have to use the old method for now. Thanks

55 minutes ago, vayidm said:

You cannot usefully use this plugin for shares that are on the array that are being constantly updated.   As you have noted it will keep all disks spun up if any array file is updated.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You cannot usefully use this plugin for shares that are on the array that are being constantly updated.   As you have noted it will keep all disks spun up if any array file is updated.

Yeah it seems it requires a big cache drive to work nicely. Will have to figure a way to keep all reads/writes on a small cache drive then use this. Thanks

• 2 months later...

With a parity disk active (write corrections on), cache off, copying one TB of small files to a share over gigabit ethernet from a USB 3.0 drive I was getting 10-15MB/s... I paused the transfer, selected "Reconstruct Write" under Settings > Disk Settings > Tunable (md_write_method), went to Main > Spin Up disks, and resumed the transfer in Windows. It averages now at 35MB/s. I get the same speed differences from a USB drive directly in Unraid from Krusader. I have many more TB of data to transfer from unassigned SATA disks, this thread saved me a few days of wait! I'll come back to report my findings, thanks to all for sharing.

Edited by CarloGaudreault
  • Like 3
  • 1 year later...
On 9/22/2016 at 3:38 AM, RobJ said:

Currently, you only have the option to use the old method or the new (currently the Auto option means the old method).  But the plan is to add the true Auto option that will use the old method by default, *unless* all of the drives are currently spinning.  If the drives are all spinning, then it slips into Turbo.  This should be enough for many users.  It would normally use the old method, but if you planned a large transfer or a bunch of writes, then you would spin up all of the drives - and enjoy faster writing.

Am I correct in assuming this is still on the wishlist of things to implement? given the mention of a plugin in the last page of this thread? 

46 minutes ago, Zorb said:

Am I correct in assuming this is still on the wishlist of things to implement? given the mention of a plugin in the last page of this thread? 

There is a plugin. Do you have Community Applications installed? Have you searched the Apps page?

• Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, trurl said:

There is a plugin. Do you have Community Applications installed? Have you searched the Apps page?

I have, just wanted to make sure the plugin is still needed, since this thread, and the part I quoted was from 2016 (!) 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...