Need some inputs on a new unraid install

IpDo

Hey all,

This seems to be related to the HW forum and the KVM forum, so i'll post in general.

I've get myself a new system with unraid in mind.

spec are:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($609.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.20 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($225.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($169.00 @ B&H)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($229.49 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card  ($429.89 @ OutletPC)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $2098.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 02:26 EDT-0400

I would like to move my old unraid server (6 years old, core 2 duo) - now with unraid 5.1 - to the new server. for that i would move my 7 HDDs excluding the old cache drive.

I would also like to install 2 VM on the server - one will be my main "PC" that will run WIN10 gameing machine (with the 1070 passthru) and another VM for old softwares (win7).

do I need another GPU for that? any advice on how to accomplish that?

thank you!

I moved it here, because it's VM advice you're mostly going to need, and even the hardware questions are VM related.

But first a little advice, it's always best to do major tasks one at a time, successfully completing each before starting the next.  Issues become much easier to diagnose, when you know the only thing that changed each time.  In my opinion, you are starting 3 different tasks, a major transplant of unRAID, a Cache reorganization (any Cache drive changes), and VM setup.  I would pick one of the first 2 only and complete it, then do the other one, then finally the VM setup.

I thought about doing it the other way around.

first make sure that the unraid VM setup is able to give me the necessary solution for gaming.

so again,

is it needed to add another GPU for the use of UNRAID? or can it run without one (main [and only] GPU passthru)

Archived