Asking for Password when browsing share

m.b.d

I get the following message from Windows

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection"

I've reset permissions, shutdown windows firewall and disabled AV.  Any other ideas?  I can access it via FTP though so its on the network just not file sharing.

I get the same thing. It is a Windows thing. I work with multiple domains and networks at work and can usually wiggle my way through and around the network.....but this one I've tried everything and it seems I'm just locked out.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

For problems with access using Guest account privileges, see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/guest-access-in-smb2-is-disabled-by-default

Read the entire article as they have done more than just restrict SMB2 and SMB3 protocols.  They also disabled SMB1 and a few other things.   This is all been done because of real existing security issues!

This is going to be an ongoing issue for anyone who is trying to run Unraid trying to use an unrestricted Guest access mode using a Windows 10 or Windows 11 computer.  (MS is going to be doing their best to prevent it!)  To prevent these type of issues, setup a login for your Windows users and require them to log in.  (You can use the Credential Manager to log them in automatically in the background!)  If after doing that you want to allow unrestricted access, you can do it with the Unraid SMB security settings.  (Not really recommended.  Once you have your users set up, it is a couple of small steps to restrict the access to your Unraid SMB shares to just those users!)  By requiring a login, you will at least keep out undesirable (and, perhaps, malicious) clients who do not have login credentials.

• 8 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 11:36 PM, auujay said:

My Win10 laptop started doing this a lot more recently.  I am assuming some Windows update has prompted the change.

I can resolve it by telling windows to log into the share with username of "\" and leave the password box blank.  I hope that works for you.

This worked for me as well.  Thanks. Using Windows 11 and UnRaid 6.11.1

• 7 months later...

To get this to work on my Windows 10 (Enterprise) I had to set AllowInsecureGuestAuth to 1 in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters] in the Registry Editor.

Then I had to login with username "\" and no password.

image.png.7f73704cf3b55fb688056fea5d58be46.png

Edited by frakman1