Sleep and drive spin down

MrCrispy

Few questions -

• Unraid will spin down the drives after a while, what is the default time?
  • Server can also be set to sleep after a while right? Is this default or do you have to install the s3 sleep plugin?
  • When the server wakes up, all data drives will be spun up, or can this be configured?

Also I asked a question about LSI controller in IT mode here - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52196.0, no replies so thought I'd ask here as this board is more popular.

• Unraid will spin down the drives after a while, what is the default time?

The default is configurable under Settings->Disk settings.

• Server can also be set to sleep after a while right? Is this default or do you have to install the s3 sleep plugin?

s3 sleep is not officially supported.  It may work if you have the s3 sleep plugin installed, your hardware is all compatible with s3 sleep and the plugin is configured correctly

• When the server wakes up, all data drives will be spun up, or can this be configured?

Since s3 sleep is not something that unRAID supports whether this happens is a function of your hardware and how you have things set up.

Does Linux not support S3 sleep by default? The power button on pc can be configured to sleep instead of shutdown also, is this not possible in unRaid/Linux?

Its an add-on plugin for unRaid.  And its an add-on because not all motherboards properly support it under all circumstances (especially the older they are), not to mention that many hard drive controllers do not support it at all (server grade or near server grade controllers expect to be in a machine that is on 24-7, so the manufacturers don't put much effort if any into sleep support). 

Your mileage will vary.  Even Windows can't get sleep right on all hardware - (googling windows 10 sleep problems yields 1.9M results)  Install the dynamix S3 sleep plugin and set it up.

S3 is a state that, as noted above, is often very problematic on desktop boards => it doesn't hurt to try it; but don't be surprised if it doesn't work correctly on your system.  Many motherboards have issues with it; and a LOT of add-on cards don't properly support S3 (e.g. add-on RAID controller cards).

I suspect that's why it's not a built-in feature -- it could easily become a major support headache, since if it was built in, users would expect it to always work  :)

Certainly doesn't hurt to just install the sleep plugin and give it a try -- if it works well in YOUR system; then great.  If not, just remember that you're not alone.

With most modern systems (i.e. anything built in the last 5 years or so) I've found that they are much more reliable with S3 than earlier systems ... but can still have issues if they have add-on boards [RAID controllers; TV tuners; video capture cards; etc.].

With most modern systems (i.e. anything built in the last 5 years or so) I've found that they are much more reliable with S3 than earlier systems ... but can still have issues if they have add-on boards [RAID controllers; TV tuners; video capture cards; etc.].

Absolutely true. My system happily supported S3 sleep and wake-up until I bought a brand new HBA controller. Now wake-up isn't that smooth anymore and still joggling with it.

• Haha 1

In lieu of sleep, if your system uses enough power that you don't want to leave it on 24/7 with just the drives spun down, you could always just put a couple icons on your desktop to (a) turn it off [using PLink] and to turn it on [via WOL].    I have icons to turn on/off all 4 of my servers ... although I rarely turn off 2 of them.  The two I leave on all the time only draw ~ 20 watts on idle (all drives spun down) ... so even if they're on 24/7 they cost less than $2/month to run.

My large (and much more power-hungry) backup server is off except when being used.  My backup script turns it on; waits a couple minutes; does all of my backups;  and then shuts down the server.