GPU passthrough

gl3nn

I just started using unraid about a week ago. I am trying to accomplish this myself. I don't think GPU passthough is what needs to be done. Emby and FFMPEG both support Quicksync and VAAPI. They are both currently baked in and active within Emby. I think the problem is missing prerequisites. I have only about a weeks worth of understanding of dockers so I don't know if they missing parts to accomplish this are within the docker or the unRAID system. I have not used Linux in such a long time but I think we need to add intel packages to the system for the FFMPEG dependency's.

Link to information: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

With all the research I have done so far I am think its might not be accomplishable since unRAID is very striped down are bare. Running Emby is a Linux VM might be possible to use either quicksync or vappi but at least for my sake I do not think I can without have my onboard intel 530 graphics card passthorough to the linux os as obviously its needed for quicksync and my nvidia card is used by my windows 10 VM and I only have 1 pcie slot. I know they are working to have this be able to be done but until then I think I am stuck. If someone that has more knowledge can chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

at the moment the way to go is the use of a vm machine.

When you have a skylake cpu you can install a ubuntu 16.04 vm and passthrough your intel gpu.

You have to use the unraid 6.3 RC Version. In Emby you have to set Vaapi transcoding.

That solution works.