plex cloud + amazon announced

soschronotek

Besides the privacy concerns, uploading large amounts of data can take a very long time, so I'm guessing this feature is targeted towards the casuals and new users who don't a server, have a small library (say 1-2TB) and have heard of Plex. Its a good way to get new signups for Plex Plass and ACD for both companies.

Personally I dont see the point... If you only have a small library it might be handy for a new user but my movie library is reaching 1500+ titles and im sure iv read users on here with even larger collections.

You wont be able to download directly using plex so you would have to download locally, then upload to AWS? Would plex allow you to add remote shares and would that bring any benefit?

I can only see it being good for music and photos.

Privacy issues aside, I agree that this might be a viable option for those with very small media collections or those who have mostly downloadable/torrent media where a supposed HD movie is 2GB. This is not (in my opinion) for those of us users who rip our own where a HD video file is 25GB and have 100TB or more. It's just not viable for us yet. Even if us larger users did this, the day a. Inch of our media goes missing is the day we will regret it. So it's still 24 bay Supermicro chassis for me unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Privacy issues aside, I agree that this might be a viable option for those with very small media collections or those who have mostly downloadable/torrent media where a supposed HD movie is 2GB. This is not (in my opinion) for those of us users who rip our own where a HD video file is 25GB and have 100TB or more. It's just not viable for us yet. Even if us larger users did this, the day a. Inch of our media goes missing is the day we will regret it. So it's still 24 bay Supermicro chassis for me unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it seems very shady what Plex is doing - they know full well that the vast majority of their users have illegal media collections from the Internet, they very carefully never mention the legality/DMCA aspects, and are hoping to get a ton of new users signed on to Plex Pass + ACD with this announcement, which is a nice revenue stream for both them. If in future users lose their media or their Amazon account gets banned, Plex cannot be held accountable.

Ijuarez,

You mean as opposed to the huge amounts of data being streamed by corporate entities using their cloud services?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, XYZ corp company is not paying $60 a month, they are paying just a tad more therefore Amazon will not look too much their way.