Upgrading from 6 (6.1.7) to 6.2 stable (2016-09-15)

cyberstyx

Hello all,

Had a look about upgrading from an already 6.x version to 6.2 but there is no info. There is a analytical guide from v5 to v6 but there is so much not needed information there.

One comment I saw was the obvious "click the update button from the Tower/Plugins menu", but as I am not a Linux user and as I have a few posts that had some issues after an upgrade from 6.x to 6.2, such as dockers, shares, issues with booting, I 'd rather first ask the obvious.

Apart from copying the USB system files from the USB drive to my local PC for backup purposes, and before running the update process from the GUI, is there anything else I should do?

My system is:

unRaid 6.1.7

1 docker (MineOS for the kids)

2 VMs (Win10, WinServer 2012), both with OVMFS (separate filenames - was fixed / better supported in 6.2)

Parity (on motherboard) + 5 HDDs (2 on motherboards, 2 on 1st Sata PCIex, 1 on 2nd Sata PCIex)

Public and private user shares (no disk shares)

root + 2 custom users

Preclear disks, Unassigned Devices, Community Applications, Dynamix webGui plugins

My 6.1.7 was my first (clean) installation and I have not updated since, but 6.2 is an excellent update with tons of features I would like to have.

Thank you in advance.

If you have read through the 6.2 announcement post (and skimmed through its following post) and prepared Dockers and VM's according to those instructions, and it sounds like you have, then you are ready to upgrade from the plugins menu.  Don't upgrade the webGUI, just the 'unRAID Server OS'.  Click the Update button, wait for it to complete, then reboot your server from the Main page.

My suggestion would be to print out the first two posts in the announcement thread.  Read through them both.  Mark the sections where actions are required for the way your system is configured and which actions are before and which are after the upgrade.  Then do them and check each one off as you proceed. 

That way, you should have a very smooth upgrade. 

Everything worked like a charm. Upgrading was faster than upgrading your typical Windows application ;)

Only one thing I had to edit: the OVMF locations of my VMs in their XML files, which had been edited manually by me in the first place (trick for multiple OVMF VMs prior to 6.2).

Thanks for your help!