merged mounts

Wob76

Hi,

I am playing around with acd_cli and encfs, at the moment I have both acd_cli and encfs working on my unraid OS, still early stages, I am still waiting to see how the reliable it is and I still need to look at making a plugin or script so that it will stay after a reboot.

One guide I found online suggested using unionfs-FUSE to make a fused folder with cloud and local data shown, the cloud layer would be read only and the local mount point a write part, since the unraid filesystem works in a similar fashion I thought I might be able to do this without without the need to install unionfs-FUSE, can anyone tell me of there are some mount options I can use with unraid to complete the same setup?

My Goal is to maintain my data local, but have a ACD bucket that I can move older (say 5+ years) data into. I am aware of the encryption limitations of encfs, but for my purposes they really shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Wob

OK,

So I have ended up using mount -t overlay, still to test it, but can anyone comment on if the following should be ok, for now I have just done a read only mount.

mount -t overlay overlay -olowerdir=/mnt/user/Media/:/mnt/user/cloud/acd/ /mnt/user/cloud/media/

So;

/mnt/user/Media is my local content.

/mnt/user/cloud/acd is my content stored on Amazon Cloud Drive.

/cloud/ is a cache only share, although no local data is in this folder the acd_cli tool does seem to buffer where ever the mount point is, I had it on the flash drive (/mnt/) at one point and saw speed issues, on my SSD (cache drive) it seems to work fine.

So I am hoping if I point at /mnt/user/cloud/media/ I will get a local file if it exists, if not it will pull from ACD.

Can anyone help as to why my overlay mount will not pass into my docker container?

I have a encfs and a acd_cli as well as the overlayfs mount all passed into the docker, all work except the overlayfs. I was thinking permission, the other mounts are fuse and I am using allow_other to grant access, overlayfs doesn't appear to have a similar option.

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks for reply squid, I did try that after I found a post of yours about volume mapping, but it didn't help.

This is what my mounts look like in unraid.

encfs on /mnt/cache/cloud/.local type fuse.encfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)
ACDFuse on /mnt/cache/cloud/.acd type fuse.ACDFuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other)
encfs on /mnt/cache/cloud/acd type fuse.encfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)
overlay on /mnt/user/cloud/media type overlay (ro,lowerdir=/mnt/user/Media/:/mnt/user/cloud/acd/)

This is what I get inside the docker.

/dev/sde1 on /cloud type btrfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/cloud)
encfs on /cloud/.local type fuse.encfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
ACDFuse on /cloud/.acd type fuse.ACDFuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)
encfs on /cloud/acd type fuse.encfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)

For the actual docker settings I am just mapping /mnt/user/cloud to /cloud/ and I have tried it set as RW or RW/Slave.

If I look at the available file with cat /proc/filesystems both inside and outside the container I see overlay.

Any other ideas?

Ok,

If I add the :z option to the end of my volume mapping appears to resolve my issue, something to do with SELinux permission, I don't fully understand it, but hey it worked.

Relative link (http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2015/06/using-volumes-with-docker-can-cause-problems-with-selinux/)

My next question, is it possible to add the z or Z option to volume mapping via the GUI?

Thanks,

Wob

Update: So further reading and testing and it appears the SELinux is not part of unraid, so anyone know what a :z option on the volume mapping works here?

User error...

The :z option had nothing to do with it.

I had my mount point as /mnt/user/cloud/media/

But I had my volume on the docker mapped to /mnt/cache/cloud/

Changed to docker to point to /mnt/user/cloud and it is working. interesting note, my encfs and acd_cli mounts are all pointing to /mnt/cache but show up fine in the docker, I put this down to them being fused mounts.

mounts in the docker now look like this.

shfs on /cloud type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)
overlay on /cloud/media type overlay (ro,relatime,lowerdir=/mnt/user/Media/:/mnt/user/cloud/acd/)