51TB Dual Xeon Lian Li PC-D600 Build - "Shogun"

~Shogun - As shortly defined, "...Commander in Chief in feudal Japan ..." ~

~As to Feudal Japan this server is commander and chief of my home network... that and my wife is Japanese too so...

~"Shogun"~

Z7sE0Vh.jpg

More build pics below, Please Read On.

This is a major upgrade from my home-server Norco 4220 which has been running for 10-years.

OS at time of building: Unraid 6.2 Pro

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz to 3.3GHz - SR0KX stepping

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR3-F

RAM: 128Gb ECC Hynix DDR3 Ram - HMT31GR7EFR4C-RDT8

Case: Lian Li PC-D600WB dual sided case

Drive Cage(s): iStarUSA BPN-DE350ss-Blue 3x5.25in to 5x3.5in drive cages

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2

SATA Expansion Card(s): 2x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Power supply Cables: BenFenix Alchemy 2.0 Powersupply Black and Blue Kit

Drive Cables: Cable Matters Forward Break out Cables

Fans: Thermaltake Riing Fans in Blue 3x 120mm, 3x 140mm - Noctua Fan swap on drive cages 3x 80mm - Corsair Air Flow Fans on case rear 3x 140mm

Parity Drive: 6TB WD Red

Data Drives: 11x WD Red 3TB - 3X 4TB WD Red

Cache Drive: 2x Samsung 750EVO 500GB SSD Cache Pool

Total Drive Capacity: 51TB Total Capacity - 45TB Array Storage

Primary Useage:  I will be using the system as a powerful Media Server for my home. This server will enable me to consolidate a few "media server" software packages running on other PC's. With this server I will be able to run all of the media servers, several dockers, a few VM's, personal cloud, as well as house all of my media to include Videos, Pictures, personal data et et. All of this data serves my Gaming Home Theater PC as well as a few fire stick and chrome box driven HDTV's around the house. It also feeds media to a few mobile devices when I am out and about or on the local network.

Likes: I really love the case it is the perfect blend of aesthetics and function. I also love the blue drive cages.

Dislikes: I do not lke that the case is prone to attract fingerprints.

Add Ons Used: Dockers/plugins in use. - Sabnzbd, Couch potato, Sonarr+, transmission, Emby Server, Unbalanced,

Dropbox, Others.

Future Plans: Streaming Desktops across house. Rebuild my old server into 10TB Off site backup server.

I will go through the system hardware and list the reasons I chose them.

2x - Intel E5-2670 SR0KX Cpu's - I used these as they were very inexpensive for the power they have. I knew I was not building a workstation but a true server which is where these CPU's shine. I also knew I would be running a Linux based OS so I would be able to pull all of the power out of them. Make sure you pick the SR0KX stepping as these have virtualization enabled. They run at 2.6Ghz boosting to 3.3Ghz. They are 8 Core 16 thread making my server a 32 thread machine. They also have a massive 20MB cache memory on board. All for $75 bucks!! Wow. Thank you Facebook for upgrading your data centers.

I originally was going to use two 120mm H80i AIO coolers but they were too bug. Instead I went with the Noctua Coolers. Tried and true. I swapped the fans with the thermaltake Riing fans and the cooling is great. They look awesome too.

Mainboard for this was no brainer. Supermicro X9DR3-F - This is a very powerful board, incredible feature set, IPMI/KVM, SAS, 16memory slots, 8x and 16x PCI-e slots and of course dual LGA 2011 cpu slots. I know there are other less costly options from Asrock or Asus, but in the end Supermicro manufactures one thing... Server grade parts. This board is ginormous so be aware. I had to drill 3 holes as the MB tray was missing some.

With all of these ram slots available I filled her up with 128Gb ECC Hynix DDR3 ram. Met the compatibility requirements and so far they just work. The sticks are 8GB each.

The case is a very interesting story. I had to wait a month for it to come off back-order. I was afraid they were going to discontinue it. I emailed Lian Lin and Daniel let me know they were waiting to ship till after I believe the name of the show was PAX 2016. Any way I got the awesome Lian Li PC-D600WB dual sided case. One side for show, one for go. I thought this case would be bigger but it is actually smaller, or seems smaller than it looks. Look at the pics and tell me what you think? The case does have one drawback, finger prints. Aargh!

I went with NZXT led lights in blue. I also went with the new Thermaltake Riing fans 3x 120m and 3x 140mm. All I can say is wow. For the rear I used some Corsair 140mm AF fans I had from my main Rig build.

The PSU is a powerhouse that needs no explanation. EVGA SuperNova 1000P2. Nuff said. This is a 24/7 365 rig I need the Platinum efficiency. I didn't however use the OEM cables. I bought a BitFenix blue and black set. I cannot speak more highly of a custom cable maker. These are gorgeous cables, albeit kind of hidden in my build but I know they are there.

My drive cages are ISTARUsa 3x5.25in to 5x3.5in cages in blue. I like the blue look, I also like that they do not have drive cages, the drives just slip in and mate with the sata back plane. I swapped the fans with 80mm Noctua fans so the rig is very quiet. Super nice.

With all this drive space I wanted a controller card that is proven and fast. Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. I bought 3 but I am using 2. If one fails I can swap another in 5min. I used Cable Matters forward breakout cables in blue for these cards. Again hidden in the back but nice if i do open it up.

When I finished with the case hardware I pulled the content rich red drives out of my old server and added them to the new drives I bought for the build. Everything came up with out issues. Prior to the red drives I had green drives in the old server. I replaced the greens with the reds about two weeks prior to starting the main build. Consolidating the 24 greens to 11 reds using Unbalanced. This way I would not have to wait and migrate data when the server was finished being built. Just throw them in.

I then changed over the IP's and shortcuts for all of my client machines to the new server IP. All is working perfectly.

The build was great, but as things were a tight fit I went slow and made sure to test fit everything prior to finalizing the positions. I am a cable management OCD guy so I built the machine over 1 week.

Enjoy the build Pics,

Cheers!

gL9DonQ.jpg

cLHKEuu.jpg

fCnwZRT.jpg

glmYNCx.jpg

aiYZYng.jpg

KE1Jq6F.jpg

Jvs07aV.jpg

xvczbBr.jpg

HJ5kwke.jpg

GIBdCdM.jpg

pjEq6Nm.jpg

ZnKE1sO.jpg

4mymhuE.jpg

bEVlTcb.jpg

IBTX8Cv.jpg

jr46iQ6.jpg

Mh4r9ML.jpg

o2iwp2N.jpg

HLR6PKh.jpg

UUf4HnU.jpg

oWbnSZ0.jpg

arDumFU.jpg

JOmUvoe.jpg

EFPvf0m.jpg

3wkOXz1.jpg

tq3GtAB.jpg

p8lCoa0.jpg

HDF51FI.jpg

c7OM82G.jpg

jTUGrzj.jpg

dRoIf2H.jpg

BGrHn7e.jpg

THmvMXq.jpg

O24BDOS.jpg

U6VOjK1.jpg

tQwaTA5.jpg

5XeGOm6.jpg

XClT6wI.jpg

Z7sE0Vh.jpg

Updated!! -  Japanese Katana - Oni Shogun Mask - White Leds (swapped the blue)

The mask, albeit very small, was a rather expensive gift from my mother in law. It's made from Japanese Porcelain, and hand painted. According to my wife it cost the equivalent of about $75 US. I have not had a place to showcase it because of it's size, then this server upgrade came up and I started to design a system knowing I would be displaying a sword and the mask. I had the mask but started to look for a mini/micro sword that would fit as my personal 37" 25" full tang set is a bit too big to squeeze in here.

I built a small podium from spare pc drive cage parts, mounted the sword stand then mounted the sword. The mask is hanging from the sword stand as I did not want to damage it in any way. This was the most scary part of this entire build.

"Don't break the mask!"

Glad this will be stationary in it's new home in the formal living room. (NOTE: I am not sure how I got my wife to  agree to that.)

g96EoBi.jpg

rMu1xm4.jpg

More updates to follow. Cheers.

• Like 3

Hello all, thanks for the comments.

I have made a few changes in the lighting. Switched to white leds and I think it looks a lot better. (Will post pics)

Since this is a very quiet server I will be putting it in the formal living room in a corner. All of my friends asked me about the old server when they were over so now the new one will be accessible for viewing. That was one of the reasons I made sure to make it as "cool looking " as possible as I knew it would be in an openish area.

Who says servers can't be art too right? At least that's how I think of my builds.

See my other systems and home theater here. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Valinnoris/builds/

Sorry if I'm not suppose to post links.

Cheers!!  ;D

Hello, thank you for your reply,

Not really a gamer per se'. I have a lot of games loaded on the HTPC Rig so people have options when they come over for entertainment purposes. Movies, TV, Music ,Games, et et. I am however playing "Inside" from the creators of Limbo right now. First gamed played in a few months.

On my main PC, Noir (see link above), I only have X-Plane installed, and a lot of productivity software. X-plane is not really defined so much as a game. Very good simulator though. When I fly places I usually pre fly the route on the simulator.

Honestly Noir was built as a "call out" from some of my employees that wanted to see me build a "monster" PC in a contest. It is now very under utilized. :-\

Very nice and clean, makes my 105TB server look like a mess by comparison. Nice job, it really looks appealing from an aesthetic point of view. Nice choice of parts too, can tell you really took the time to think it through and choose carefully. Personally I would of preferred a case with more drive slots, but hey, that's me.

Well done.

Are you refering to my other Noir build? Its actually 2 years old now. lol At the time of the build there were not any 8Tb drives available. But I dont really like ultra large drives. Took me forever just to switch to 3tb drives. Call it the 'old' Sys Admin in me. Id rather loose less data than a lot on one drive. More smaller drives than less large drives for me. Spread the data out over more small drives than a couple large drives.

For Shogun I had 11 new WD Red 3TB drives from last year all half full so just changed the parity to 6TB and added a few 4Tb. This gives me a good upgrade path as I fill them up. Currently only using 14Tb of my 45TB. and that's with 10 years data. I have time.

Old habits die hard. Ive been doing this too long. Lol.. need to retire... tech moves too fast. haha.

Cheers,

I hear what you say about your fear of using large drives, but really with the cost and reliability of the drives improving, I don't share that fear anymore. Besides with unRAID 6.2 now offering dual parity, you are well protected. Also, you would have more than one copy of your data anyway, right? So what's the worry? The likelihood of losing data is remote.

I hear what you say about your fear of using large drives, but really with the cost and reliability of the drives improving, I don't share that fear anymore. Besides with unRAID 6.2 now offering dual parity, you are well protected. Also, you would have more than one copy of your data anyway, right? So what's the worry? The likelihood of losing data is remote.

(Joking Sarcasm to follow)

So what you're saying is there IS a chance to loose data right? lol...

Seriously I know, it's just old habits. If I did fill this rig with 8TB drives it would take years for anything to fill up. I only moved 14TB into this new one from my old one. Only 14TB over 10years. Better cost effectiveness to just let my half full 3TB drive work their way up and buy when the drive cost less in the next 10 years I guess  :)

Gosh I remember buying my first 1GB drive and was thinking the same thing. Ahh Maxtor... lol Now I have 3TB drives. Damn it what happened I'm suppose to stick to my principles...

I was going to buy some 8TB but thought about it in the context above. Whats the point? Not going to remotely fill them up any time soon. Kind of a waste of dough.... Wait... did i just say that and I'm a pilot....(pilot Joke)

I am actually waiting for the new 10TBWD Gold... wait im waiting for the new..... wait the new..... aaa I give up...

Cheers,  ;)

I just got an email stating the last piece of my build has arrived. Surprise!

Some may not like it but I like to build "artish" themed systems as conversation pieces in my home.

I ordered on Ebay some mini samurai swords. I will be putting one inside the case. Link to it below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Blue-Mini-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Letter-Opener-Gift-w-Display-Stand-/391513534586?hash=item5b2806707a:g:73UAAOSwWfFXkhe1

Maybe not for all but it was part of my original plan for Shogun. Notice it's also blue and black, and obviously it goes with the whole Shogun Theme.

I'll post pics soon.

Cheers,

Also, thanks for all the comments and thoughts I appreciate them all.

Has anyone tried LAN streaming of VM's to clients like a chrome box or ??? I'm working on that but any help would be appreciated setup wise.

Let the flames begin.. lol

Cheers,

Love the swords !!  Those will be a VERY nice accent to the case  :)

r.e. the larger drives => I was just teasing ... while I WILL use 8TB (or larger) drives in my NEXT server, I also have no inclination to move to much larger drives in my current ones.  My main media server has 18 drives totalling 40TB (4 TB units and 14 2TB units) ... and I've only got about 25TB of media accumulated over 15 years.  So it's got PLENTY of spare space; and if I need more I'll just swap some 2's for 4's.  I do plan to add another 4TB drive as a 2nd parity soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.    ALL of my data is backed up to external drives stored in a fireproof, waterproof, data-rated safe AND on my backup server, which has 48TB of space, with about 35TB used.    My other two servers are relatively small -- 15TB (using 3TB Reds) and 18TB (uses a bunch 1.5 & 2TB drives -- this is my "experimental" server).

I DO have a few 8TB Reds (GREAT drives) ... but they're in my desktops and an HTPC, where I wanted the large capacity.

Storage these days feels "free" if you've been around long enough => my first hard drive was a 26MB (Yes, that's an "M") Seagate 14" unit that cost me $4500  :)

Love the swords !!  Those will be a VERY nice accent to the case  :)

r.e. the larger drives => I was just teasing ... while I WILL use 8TB (or larger) drives in my NEXT server, I also have no inclination to move to much larger drives in my current ones.  My main media server has 18 drives totalling 40TB (4 TB units and 14 2TB units) ... and I've only got about 25TB of media accumulated over 15 years.  So it's got PLENTY of spare space; and if I need more I'll just swap some 2's for 4's.  I do plan to add another 4TB drive as a 2nd parity soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.    ALL of my data is backed up to external drives stored in a fireproof, waterproof, data-rated safe AND on my backup server, which has 48TB of space, with about 35TB used.    My other two servers are relatively small -- 15TB (using 3TB Reds) and 18TB (uses a bunch 1.5 & 2TB drives -- this is my "experimental" server).

I DO have a few 8TB Reds (GREAT drives) ... but they're in my desktops and an HTPC, where I wanted the large capacity.

Storage these days feels "free" if you've been around long enough => my first hard drive was a 26MB (Yes, that's an "M") Seagate 14" unit that cost me $4500  :)

(All sarcasm aside.) A man after my own heart. Your train of thought on the drives is spot on to mine.  {tease} My next build, Samurai, will be off site at my parents house. Going to use the old  Norco 4220 with new quiet gear. Remember the swapped Noctua fans from before. ;){end tease}

You did however blow my mind with the 26MB drive. That is possibly the biggest crazy old tech cost, I've ever heard. (in the consumer market anyway) That's crazy. Wait, does that mean we're old??? Wrong forum for that question.

Cheers!!

Updated!! -  Japanese Katana - Oni Shogun Mask - White Leds (swapped the blue)

The mask, albeit very small, was a rather expensive gift from my mother in law. It's made from Japanese Porcelain, and hand painted. According to my wife it cost the equivalent of about $75 US. I have not had a place to showcase it because of it's size, then this server upgrade came up and I started to design a system knowing I would be displaying a sword and the mask.

I only mention it now as I was not sure it would even work as planned and did not want to over build expectations. But hey it did work out and I'm stoked!!

The sword is a little bit smaller than I expected but I like the subtlety of it rather than take away from the mask.

I had the mask, as stated above, but needed to source mini/micro swords that would fit as my personal 37" and 25" full tang set is a bit too big to squeeze in here. Thank you Google. Sorry Bing, "you failed me for the last time!!" Go commit Seppuku.

I built a small podium from spare pc drive cage parts, mounted the sword stand then mounted the sword. The mask is hanging from the sword stand as I did not want to damage it in any way. This was the most scary part of this entire build.

"For the love of all things holy don't break the porcelain mask!"

This mask is used to "scare" away demons. Let's just hope that includes technology "Deamons" as well.

Glad this will be stationary in it's new home in the formal living room. (NOTE: I am not sure how I got my wife to  agree to that.)

Cheers!!

g96EoBi.jpg

rMu1xm4.jpg

Updated main post as well

... That is possibly the biggest crazy old tech cost, I've ever heard. (in the consumer market anyway)

That was ~ 1979 or 80.  A couple years before that, I bought an 8K memory card (Yes, that's "K") that was in kit form (had to solder in all of the sockets before mounting all the memory chips) ... I mentioned that it was a kit because the assembled version was a couple hundred dollars more => and that 8K kit was about $1000  :)      Meanwhile, I "had" to have a printer ... so I assembled an 8-pin dot matrix printer from a kit that cost ~ $800.

Computers were indeed an expensive hobby in the mid-to-late 70's.

... That is possibly the biggest crazy old tech cost, I've ever heard. (in the consumer market anyway)

That was ~ 1979 or 80.  A couple years before that, I bought an 8K memory card (Yes, that's "K") that was in kit form (had to solder in all of the sockets before mounting all the memory chips) ... I mentioned that it was a kit because the assembled version was a couple hundred dollars more => and that 8K kit was about $1000  :)      Meanwhile, I "had" to have a printer ... so I assembled an 8-pin dot matrix printer from a kit that cost ~ $800.

Computers were indeed an expensive hobby in the mid-to-late 70's.

Amazing how far it's come in a short period of time.

Wonder what the next 20 years will bring.

Seems like only yesterday I was playing Radar Rat Race on my Commodore 64.

OS at time of building: Unraid 6.2 Pro

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz to 3.3GHz - SR0KX stepping

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR3-F

RAM: 128Gb ECC Hynix DDR3 Ram - HMT31GR7EFR4C-RDT8

Case: Lian Li PC-D600WB dual sided case

Drive Cage(s): iStarUSA BPN-DE350ss-Blue 3x5.25in to 5x3.5in drive cages

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2

SATA Expansion Card(s): 2x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Power supply Cables: BenFenix Alchemy 2.0 Powersupply Black and Blue Kit

Drive Cables: Cable Matters Forward Break out Cables

Fans: Thermaltake Riing Fans in Blue 3x 120mm, 3x 140mm - Noctua Fan swap on drive cages 3x 80mm - Corsair Air Flow Fans on case rear 3x 140mm

Parity Drive: 6TB WD Red

Data Drives: 11x WD Red 3TB - 3X 4TB WD Red

Cache Drive: 2x Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD Cache Pool

Total Drive Capacity: 51TB Total Capacity - 45TB Array Storage

What was the total cost of your build?

• 3 weeks later...