51TB Dual Xeon Lian Li PC-D600 Build - "Shogun"

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, Tybio said:

FYI all, the case has a nice discount on newegg, Showing $148 off for a final price of $222.  List is $369.

Code is good until 4/30: NAFDECLIA422

Rats!!  I just saw this and went to Newegg to see if by any chance it'd still work (18 minutes after midnight PST) ... but it does not.

Oh well, I guess that saved me $222, as I was going to buy one "just because" to have it available for my next server upgrade -- not because I actually need it :D

That is (was) indeed a VERY good price for a great case.

I have to admit, I picked one up.  I'm in a 24 bay 4U right now and with drive sizes where they are I've decided to go "backwards" to a nice setup like the one in this thread rather than have a massive block of server in the basement sounding like a jet engine :).

I'm now debating on which 5-in-3 to use here, I like the trayless ones in this post, but I don't want to have to deal with the fan replacement on them...so I'm thinking of just going with the old stand-by of the SuperMicro ones.

The only thing I could wish is that it had /one/ more 5.25 bay for one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NP2M6L/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071NP2M6L&pd_rd_wg=puaSY&pd_rd_r=0K9QZ54NFZH0B2TMED5J&pd_rd_w=Y69mw&smid=A1GQQIQD0YQTUY

So I'm now on the path, thanks for this thread as it gave me a lot of ideas and my goals were the same, to move from a 24 bay rack to a server that will fit in my office.  I'm using the guts of my current server and just ordered the case/drivebays and fans.  

A little expensive for down sizing, but I'm paying a premium for making it as quiet as possible.  The one fear I have is replacing the fans on the cages, I'm going to get them and see how they are by default before I make any decisions on that front.  Is there a narrow option for the 80mm on the iStar cages that will fit out of the box?  Or best to just go with a normal 80mm Noctua?

Edit: I found this on Amazon, can someone with an iStar cage that's mentioned in this thread comment on the depth of the default fan?  Is it 15mm by chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-BlackSilentPro-PC-P-Ultra-Silent/dp/B0083A0BIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398784528&sr=8-1&keywords=noiseblocker+pcp

Edited by Tybio
Added content
1 hour ago, Tybio said:

So I'm now on the path, thanks for this thread as it gave me a lot of ideas and my goals were the same, to move from a 24 bay rack to a server that will fit in my office.  I'm using the guts of my current server and just ordered the case/drivebays and fans.  

A little expensive for down sizing, but I'm paying a premium for making it as quiet as possible.  The one fear I have is replacing the fans on the cages, I'm going to get them and see how they are by default before I make any decisions on that front.  Is there a narrow option for the 80mm on the iStar cages that will fit out of the box?  Or best to just go with a normal 80mm Noctua?

Edit: I found this on Amazon, can someone with an iStar cage that's mentioned in this thread comment on the depth of the default fan?  Is it 15mm by chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-BlackSilentPro-PC-P-Ultra-Silent/dp/B0083A0BIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398784528&sr=8-1&keywords=noiseblocker+pcp

I just purchased the same case and drive bays.  I also purchased three of the Noctua 80mm fans, but I found that the drive cage fans have a proprietary connector that can either be spliced together or connect the fans to a hub and then connect the hub to the MB. With the Noctua fans, you have to remove the cover and mount them using longer screws.  This is what I'm going to use (I'm not very good at splicing wires together ?).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YD7B0M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1 hour ago, snuffy1pro said:

Hello all, 

I Used the Noctua fans without the cages, I also did not splice the fans but ran them to the main board for speed control.

Any hint on what screws to use? Or just take one apart and head to home depot and rummage around for something that looks like it works?

Ugh, I think these are #2 width, at least according to home depot, the smallest they had in the store was #6...which looks to be way too wide for the little plastic socket they screw into.  I guess I'll try the default fans and see what I can figure out.  

Ok, for anyone down the road that is wondering:

The iStarUSA case fans can be replaced with 4-40 machine screws, the length is a little under 1-1/4 inch, I was able to find them at lowest with the right size/thread but not length:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-10-Count-4-to-40-x-1-1-4-in-Round-Head-Zinc-Plated-Phillips-Slotted-Combination-Drive-Standard-SAE-Machine-Screw/3036648

I then used the nuts as spacers so I didn't have to modify the screw.  Basically spin the nut until it is nested up against the head of the screw, use it to attach the 80mm fan of your choice.

Using the existing stand-offs for the fan without the cowl however leaves a gap of about 1/4-1/3rd of an inch between the fan and the cage.  I'm debating using electrical tape to seal that gap so the air is forced to come in via the cage...what do you all think?

12 hours ago, Tybio said:

Ok, for anyone down the road that is wondering:

The iStarUSA case fans can be replaced with 4-40 machine screws, the length is a little under 1-1/4 inch, I was able to find them at lowest with the right size/thread but not length:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-10-Count-4-to-40-x-1-1-4-in-Round-Head-Zinc-Plated-Phillips-Slotted-Combination-Drive-Standard-SAE-Machine-Screw/3036648

I then used the nuts as spacers so I didn't have to modify the screw.  Basically spin the nut until it is nested up against the head of the screw, use it to attach the 80mm fan of your choice.

Using the existing stand-offs for the fan without the cowl however leaves a gap of about 1/4-1/3rd of an inch between the fan and the cage.  I'm debating using electrical tape to seal that gap so the air is forced to come in via the cage...what do you all think?

So the 1 1/4" screws were a little long?  Would a 1" screw been too short?  I'm getting ready to head to my local Home Depot (Lowes is some distance from me) and see what they have.

The only options I had were 1 1/4th and 1", I only picked up the longer ones as the 1" seemed too short, would only have threaded 2 or 3 rotations.  The Noctua fans I used are .98" (According to their specs) so I didn't risk it.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...