Moving vdisk image to non-vdisk based SSD

MikeW

I currently have a single SSD which contains vdisk images for six VMs. One of the VMs is a Windows 10 "gaming" VM which currently has a 200GB vdisk image. I have a dedicated 480GB SSD which I'd like to use solely for this VM. I believe I have two options for this.

1. Move the vdisk file to the new 480GB SSD and expand the size of the vdisk image to 480GB.

2. Assign the new 480GB SSD to the Windows 10 VM and use it in raw (not sure if this is the correct terminology) mode so there isn't a single vdisk image.

Has anyone done this and are there pros and cons for the two options?

Thanks

Easy peasy.

• on current VM, do a backup using the built in backup feature ('Backup and restore (windows 7)' in control panel) and back it up to a network share on unraid
  • create new VM with passed through SSD and boot from a windows 10 ISO (you'll need the virtio drivers iso mounted too, to install drivers). On the first screen, instead of install, select "repair my computer" and select the option to restore from an image. cant remember the exact wording, but its pretty obvious.
    you'll get a pop up asking for the network location and if you want to install any drivers. Install the network and storage drivers, then give it the location you sent to backup to previously.

Once its finished, it should boot from the SSD. done.

worth mentioning you cant switch from i440x to Q35 using this method, that has to be the same.