unRAID Server Version 6.2.1 Available

I can confirm that this is an issue with the new version.

I have tried the same USB drive that I have erased (I didn't copy the config folder so it's a completely new install):

- unRAIDServer-6.1.9-x86_64 (boots fine)

- unRAIDServer-6.2.1-x86_64 (remains in a bootloop)

Both were fresh downloads on a wiped drive.

My specs are (if it helps):

- Supermicro X11-SAE motherboard

- 32GB Supermicro DDR4 ram

- INTEL Xeon E3-1245V5

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried the same USB drive that I have erased (I didn't copy the config folder so it's a completely new install):

- INTEL Xeon E3-1245V5

What's the USB flash vendor/model?  Can you try a different device?

- INTEL Xeon E3-1245V5

Sandisk purchased from your company. I tried two different flash drives (Sandisk). Both exhibit the same result (works on old, bootloop on new version).

Although not exactly that symptom, I've seen some weird flash issues when updating to v6.2 solved by doing this, can't hurt to try it.

- INTEL Xeon E3-1245V5

Sandisk purchased from your company. I tried two different flash drives (Sandisk). Both exhibit the same result (works on old, bootloop on new version).

When you re-installed did you also right-click the device in windows and re-format first, and remember to click on 'make_bootable'?

Although not exactly that symptom, I've seen some weird flash issues when updating to v6.2 solved by doing this, can't hurt to try it.

No such luck. Still loops.

I have a problem with this version. After the update my server is stuck in a bootloop.

I tried normal mode (bootloop at loading bzroot), normal mode with GUI (freezes when selecting), safe mode (same as normal mode).

The server worked fine on the last version so I would really appreciate some help.

Should have asked: what do you mean by boot loop?  Do you see the unraid boot menu?  Does bzroot start to load?

I have a problem with this version. After the update my server is stuck in a bootloop.

I tried normal mode (bootloop at loading bzroot), normal mode with GUI (freezes when selecting), safe mode (same as normal mode).

The server worked fine on the last version so I would really appreciate some help.

Should have asked: what do you mean by boot loop?  Do you see the unraid boot menu?  Does bzroot start to load?

Was written in my first post. Probably missed it...

The boot menu shows. GUI version just freezes (server stops responding and is stuck at the boot menu screen), both normal and safe mode start to loop at loading bzroot.

The boot menu shows. GUI version just freezes (server stops responding and is stuck at the boot menu screen), both normal and safe mode start to loop at loading bzroot.

Let's get in sync with our posts...

1. When starts to loop, is this right at the beginning of loading bzroot, or does it seem to load it all and then loop?  And by loop, do you mean the motherboard "resets" (goes through bios startup just like hitting reset button)?

2. When you re-installed disk you actually re-format the usb device, and also run 'make_bootable' after copying the files to it?

3. We shipped many different SanDisk models.  Which is yours, the usb2.0 version or usb3.0 version?  16GB or 32GB?

Loading the linux kernel and root image is done entirely by 'syslinux' which didn't change between releases

1. When starts to loop, is this right at the beginning of loading bzroot, or does it seem to load it all and then loop?  And by loop, do you mean the motherboard "resets" (goes through bios startup just like hitting reset button)?

2. When you re-installed disk you actually re-format the usb device, and also run 'make_bootable' after copying the files to it?

3. We shipped many different SanDisk models.  Which is yours, the usb2.0 version or usb3.0 version?  16GB or 32GB?

Loading the linux kernel and root image is done entirely by 'syslinux' which didn't change between releases

1. It seems to load but then loops at the end. And yes the board resets and goes through POST again.

2. Yes. I have removed and copied, formatted and ran make bootable and tried this (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51715.msg496398#msg496398) as suggested by another poster.

3. I have two USB3.0 versions one 16 and the other 32. Tried both.

1. It seems to load but then loops at the end. And yes the board resets and goes through POST again.

2. Yes. I have removed and copied, formatted and ran make bootable and tried this (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51715.msg496398#msg496398) as suggested by another poster.

3. I have two USB3.0 versions one 16 and the other 32. Tried both.

Huh  ???  What kind of USB port is the device plugged into - usb2 or usb3?  If usb3, can you try a usb2 port?

Just tried both. Same results.

Well I'm stumped.  Maybe check the usual: memtest passes, latest bios installed.  If you have a usb2 stick laying around maybe try that.  The bzroot image size in 6.2.1 is 780K larger than 6.1.9 but not up against any syslinux or file size limitation.  You can also try the 6.3.0-rc1 release, here's the link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/next/unRAIDServer-6.3.0-rc1-x86_64.zip

md5 is

20fc48744a234f1ee98dff2060741fc3

Well I'm stumped.  Maybe check the usual: memtest passes, latest bios installed.  If you have a usb2 stick laying around maybe try that.  The bzroot image size in 6.2.1 is 780K larger than 6.1.9 but not up against any syslinux or file size limitation.  You can also try the 6.3.0-rc1 release, here's the link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/next/unRAIDServer-6.3.0-rc1-x86_64.zip

md5 is

Umm.... The 6.3.0-rc1 actually works!

So what the heck is wrong with 6.2.1 that my server doesn't like it?

md5 is

There are some questions best left unanswered  :-X  (beats the heck out of me)

md5 is

There are some questions best left unanswered  :-X  (beats the heck out of me)

What I'm worried about now is what will happen when the next update hits. So far it worked but now I'll prepare for the worse each time I notice a new update.

By the way thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Everything working now so I'll just hope that the next update doesn't bork things again.

I had a "reboot loop" once back during the 6.1rcs. I could boot fine from a complete powerdown, but if I tried to reboot it would loop rebooting over and over. I didn't really completely investigate and just decided to only boot from a complete powerdown. Later on another release I was poking around inside and noticed that one of the 3 case fans I was running off a motherboard fan header was stuck. I replaced it and then decided to retry starting from a reboot and it worked fine and has worked fine ever since. Don't know for sure if it was the fan or the update.

Upgraded to 6.2.1 this morning and now my VM will not start.  Here is the error log from the VM page.

2016-10-07 14:05:01.388+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: Tower
Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=1 is tainted: custom-argv
Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2016-10-07T14:05:02.215662Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: error opening /dev/vfio/16: Operation not permitted
2016-10-07T14:05:02.215685Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to get group 16
2016-10-07T14:05:02.215690Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device initialization failed
2016-10-07 14:05:02.481+0000: shutting down
2016-10-07 14:07:02.947+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: Tower
Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=2 is tainted: custom-argv
Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2016-10-07T14:07:03.762923Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: error opening /dev/vfio/16: Operation not permitted
2016-10-07T14:07:03.762947Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to get group 16
2016-10-07T14:07:03.762952Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device initialization failed
2016-10-07 14:07:04.033+0000: shutting down

I believe it is erroring out on my Video Card, but really have no idea what to change to make it work.  Worked fine in all 6.2 and lower versions, and now doesn't.  Odd.

I have reverted back to 6.2 and the issue remains.  I will create another post in the main help section now.

I updated from 6.2.0 to 6.2.1 and now my server takes a lot more idle power. 6.2 needed average 31 watts idle and now I have 43 to 54 watts idle consumption. CPU seems more be used than before. Any ideas? Thanks.

VERY interesting => while it's true the CPU demands are clearly higher in the v6 series than in the previous releases, I'm surprised they jumped between 6.2 and 6.2.1.    It sounds like you have some disks spinning that weren't spinning before.  Click on "Spin Down" and then see what the power consumption looks like.

Also, do you have any disks in the system that aren't assigned to UnRAID ??

It sounds like you have some disks spinning that weren't spinning before.  Click on "Spin Down" and then see what the power consumption looks like.
My disks spin automatically down after 15 minutes. So they mostly greyed. Only Cache (SSD) is always on.

Nope, all in the array :).

It sounds like you have some disks spinning that weren't spinning before.  Click on "Spin Down" and then see what the power consumption looks like.
My disks spin automatically down after 15 minutes. So they mostly greyed. Only Cache (SSD) is always on.

Nope, all in the array :).

I know they're supposed to => but click on Spin Down and then check the power -- just in case there's an issue with the timed spindowns.