Disk 15 disabled - broken?

steve1977

Why didn't you mention parity in your OP? And in your Subject line? Are you saying both drives are disabled?

After digging through your diagnostics again, parity doesn't look so good:

Sep 16 20:57:49 Tower kernel: md: import disk0: (sdp) WDC_WD60EZRX-00MVLB1_WD-WX11DB4H85V6 size: 5860522532 

Serial Number:    WD-WX11DB4H85V6
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   198   198   000    Old_age   Always       -       2155

What I had originally assumed you needed to do was rebuild disk15. Now it looks like you may have lost data on disk15 since you need to replace parity.

Post a screenshot.

Unfortunately, I only realized about the parity after posting. The parity disk actually showed "green" and only disk-15 had the "red" icon next to it.

You are right, it looks like I have lost some information, but it appears that the loss is limited, so should be fine.

I only saw your message now, so I am already in the process of rebuilding the parity. Shall I stop it or see whether it finishes? Need to replace the parity disk?

I have attached a new diagnostic log. Thanks it for your continued help.

tower-diagnostics-20161007-2116.zip

Ok, will do. Will take around 24 hours, so will be a bit until I repost.

I just remember one more thing - I actually lost some files on this disk-15 around 1-2 weeks ago. These were also the most recent files I had saved to this disk. By then, disk-15 still showed "green" and I don't think the parity drive showed any errors in the GUI. I didn't report this before as I thought I had accidentally deleted the files, but am now asking myself whether this is also something related to the same error. What do you think?

Accidental deletion is more likely. The drive would have been disabled if writing had failed.

Another possibility would be filesystem corruption. Unfortunately, the syslog in your diagnostics zip was incomplete due to size, and since you have rebooted we can't see what might have happened then.

I checked connections and all looked fine. I tried it again with the same disk, but it yet again failed (parity disk shows one error in GUI and disk ejects).

I rebooted a few times and now also disk 11 disappeared (not disabled, but no longer shows up).

So, now I face two issues: new parity disk disabled, disk 11 disappeared.

Updated log attached. Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20161009-0950.zip

Archived