GUIDE *****Custom VM icons automatically downloaded and installed to unraid

SpaceInvaderOne

Hi Guys. I have written a couple of scripts. These will download custom vm icons and gui banners from a website repo to a choosen folder on array. Then install them from there into the vm manager, by rsync to /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

Before we used to add them to flash drive and copy with the go file as server started.

Well now with Squids great user script plugin we can copy them after boot from the array.

My plan is for us all to be able to create custom icons and share them through these scripts with other users.

Please create any icons and upload them somewhere. Then post a link here in this thread and I will add them to the website repo. Hopefully us building a “community vm icons”

If you would like to see what is there so far please goto

Icons        www.spaceinvader.one/unraidvmicons/

Banners    www.spaceinvader.one/unraidbanners/

For example usage of an icon. I made this one (I know not great, but you get the idea!)

Having the nvidea logo in the windows icon I know this vm is the one I have passed through my 1070, not the vnc one.

windows_teamgreen.png

There are 2 scripts that make this work.

1. Icon_banner downloader

This script has 2 settings.

First setting, to download all icons in category folders to a choosen location on the array. From here user copies the icons he or she likes to in that directory called store. From store script 2 syncs these icons with vm manager on array startup or manually

Second setting, the script downloads all icons without category folders straight to the store folder and then rsyncs them vm manager with no user control (ie you cant pre select icons synced with this setting)

This script also downloads custom banners to separate folder

The script also has push notification for either pushover or pushbullet. So when new icons or banners are downloaded server will send a message telling you how many new ones have been downloaded. No message will be sent if nothing new downloaded.

2 Icon sysnc

This script runs to rsync the downloaded icons which user has sorted into the store folder. This is done automatically on array start or manually.

I have created a video showing how to setup and use below. I hope you guys like this idea. Scripts are also in zip attached to this post ready for user plugins. :)

Custom VM icons automatically downloaded and installed to unraid

Script 1

#!/bin/bash
#downloads custom icons from online icon repository to array then copies them into vm manager. 
#
#set below to [0 - First copies icons to category folders, so you can choose which icons to have copied to the system] 
#set below to [1 - direct downloads all icons without categories then copies them to your system without user choice]
direct_copy_icons="0"

#set location on server for download of icons if above not set to direct
downloadlocation="/mnt/user/test"
#
#
#optional push notifications set below leave all settings below if none required
#
#
#set whether to use pushnotication on download of new icons [0- none] [1-pushover] [2-pushbullet] 
pushnotifications="1"
#pushover api (only fill in if set above to pushover above)
apitoken="token=put your pushover token here"
userkey="user=put your pushover user key here"
#pushbullet api (only fill in if set above to pushbullet above)
API="put your push bullet api key here"

#dont change anything below here ***********************************************************************************
#
dirtemp=$downloadlocation"/icons/temp"
dirstore=$downloadlocation"/icons/store"
dirbanner=$downloadlocation"/icons/banners"
#set function "pushnotice" to push type

if [[ "$pushnotifications" =~ ^(1|2)$ ]]; then

if [ "$pushnotifications" -eq 1 ]; then

function pushnotice {
				 curl -s \
			--form-string $apitoken \
			--form-string $userkey \
			--form-string "message=$1" \
			https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json
			}
			echo "set for pushover"

elif [ "$pushnotifications" -eq 2 ]; then

function pushnotice {
			curl -u $API: https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes -d type=note -d title="unRAID vm icons" -d body="$1"
			}

echo "set for pushbullet"			

fi

else

function pushnotice {
			echo "$1"
		}

fi
	if [ ! -d $dirtemp ] ; then

echo "Setting up first folder $dirtemp "

# make the temp directory as it doesnt exist
				mkdir -vp $dirtemp
			else
				echo "continuing."

fi	
	#check if array if banner location exist
			if [ ! -d $dirbanner ] ; then

echo "Setting up banner folder $dirbanner "

# make the temp directory as it doesnt exist
						mkdir -vp $dirbanner
					else
						echo "continuing."

fi	
		#check if array if store location exist				

if [ ! -d $dirstore ] ; then

echo "Setting up second folder $dirtemp "

# make the store directory as it doesnt exist
									mkdir -vp $dirstore
								else
									echo "All folders needed are already created continuing."
									fi

if [[ "$direct_copy_icons" =~ ^(0|1)$ ]]; then

if [ "$direct_copy_icons" -eq 0 ]; then

# set download location to temp folder for user to sort
	echo "information: direct_copy_icons flag is 0. Icons will be copied to array first for manual sorting."
	download=$dirtemp
	#set wget to download with folder structure for user sorting
	get="-r -c -S -N -nH -e robots=off -np -A png -R index.html* http://spaceinvader.one/unraidvmicons/"
	getbanner="-r -c -S -N -nH -e robots=off -np -A png -R index.html* http://spaceinvader.one/unraidbanners/"
	#set what to do at end of script
	end=0

elif [ "$direct_copy_icons" -eq 1 ]; then

# set download location to store folder then copy to system
	echo "information: direct_copy_icons flag is 1.Icons will be copied directly to system without user intervention"

download=$dirstore
	#set wget to download without folder structure as direct to system
	get="-r -c -S -N -nH -e robots=off -nd -np -A png -R index.html* http://spaceinvader.one/unraidvmicons/"
	getbanner="-r -c -S -N -nH -e robots=off -np -A png -R index.html* http://spaceinvader.one/unraidbanners/"
	#set what to do at end of script
	end=1
fi

else
echo "failure: direct_copy_icons is $direct_copy_icons. this is not a valid format. expecting [0 - array first] or [1 - direct to system]. exiting."

exit 1
fi

echo "'______'''_______''_'''''_''__''''_''___''''''_______''_______''______'''___'''__''''_''_______'";
					echo "|''''''|'|'''''''||'|'_'|'||''|''|'||'''|''''|'''''''||'''_'''||''''''|'|'''|'|''|''|'||'''''''|";
					echo "|''_''''||'''_'''||'||'||'||'''|_|'||'''|''''|'''_'''||''|_|''||''_''''||'''|'|'''|_|'||''''___|";
					echo "|'|'|'''||''|'|''||'''''''||'''''''||'''|''''|''|'|''||'''''''||'|'|'''||'''|'|'''''''||'''|'__'";
					echo "|'|_|'''||''|_|''||'''''''||''_''''||'''|___'|''|_|''||'''''''||'|_|'''||'''|'|''_''''||'''||''|";
					echo "|'''''''||'''''''||'''_'''||'|'|'''||'''''''||'''''''||'''_'''||'''''''||'''|'|'|'|'''||'''|_|'|";
					echo "|______|'|_______||__|'|__||_|''|__||_______||_______||__|'|__||______|'|___|'|_|''|__||_______|";
					echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''___'''_______''_______''__''''_''_______'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''''''||''|''|'||'''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''_'''||'''|_|'||''_____|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|'''|'|'''''''||''|'|''||'''''''||'|_____'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|'''|'|''''''_||''|_|''||''_''''||_____''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|'''|'|'''''|_'|'''''''||'|'|'''|'_____|'|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
					echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''|___|'|_______||_______||_|''|__||_______|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";

firstcount=$(find $dirtemp -type f | wc -l)	
firstcount2=$(find $dirstore -type f | wc -l)
bannercount=$(find $dirbanner -type f | wc -l)		 
sleep 10
wget $get -P $download
wget $getbanner -P $dirbanner
sleep 3
lastcount=$(find $dirtemp -type f | wc -l)	
lastcount2=$(find $dirstore -type f | wc -l)
bannercount2=$(find $dirbanner -type f | wc -l)	
totalnew=$(($lastcount - $firstcount))
totalnew2=$(($lastcount2 - $firstcount2))
bannernew=$(($bannercount2 - $bannercount))

if [[ "$direct_copy_icons" =~ ^(0|1)$ ]]; then

if [ "$direct_copy_icons" -eq 0 ]; then
			#display message
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''_______''___''''''___''''''''______'''_______''__''''_''_______'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''_'''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|''''''|'|'''''''||''|''|'||'''''''|''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|''|_|''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|''_''''||'''_'''||'''|_|'||''''___|''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''''''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|'|'|'''||''|'|''||'''''''||'''|___'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''''''||'''|___'|'''|___'''|'|_|'''||''|_|''||''_''''||''''___|''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''_'''||'''''''||'''''''|''|'''''''||'''''''||'|'|'''||'''|___'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|__|'|__||_______||_______|''|______|'|_______||_|''|__||_______|''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''__''''_''_______''_'''''_''''_______''_______''______''''_______''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|''|''|'||'''''''||'|'_'|'|''|'''''''||'''''''||''''_'|''|'''''''|'''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''|_|'||'''_'''||'||'||'|''|''_____||'''_'''||'''|'||''|_'''''_|'''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'''''''||''|'|''||'''''''|''|'|_____'|''|'|''||'''|_||_'''|'''|'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|''_''''||''|_|''||'''''''|''|_____''||''|_|''||''''__''|''|'''|'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|'|'|'''||'''''''||'''_'''|'''_____|'||'''''''||'''|''|'|''|'''|'''''''''";
			echo "''''''''|_|''|__||_______||__|'|__|''|_______||_______||___|''|_|''|___|'''''''''";
			echo "'__'''__''_______''__'''__''______''''''___'''_______''_______''__''''_''_______'";
			echo "|''|'|''||'''''''||''|'|''||''''_'|''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''''''||''|''|'||'''''''|";
			echo "|''|_|''||'''_'''||''|'|''||'''|'||''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''_'''||'''|_|'||''_____|";
			echo "|'''''''||''|'|''||''|_|''||'''|_||_'''|'''|'|'''''''||''|'|''||'''''''||'|_____'";
			echo "|_'''''_||''|_|''||'''''''||''''__''|''|'''|'|''''''_||''|_|''||''_''''||_____''|";
			echo "''|'''|''|'''''''||'''''''||'''|''|'|''|'''|'|'''''|_'|'''''''||'|'|'''|'_____|'|";
			echo "''|___|''|_______||_______||___|''|_|''|___|'|_______||_______||_|''|__||_______|";
			echo "Sort your icons located at $dirtemp and put the ones you want into $dirstore"
			if [ "$lastcount" -gt "$firstcount" ]; then

pushnotice "$totalnew new icons downloaded to $dirtemp ready for sorting"

else
						echo "No new icons downloaded"
						fi

elif [ "$direct_copy_icons" -eq 1 ]; then
			#rysnc downloaded icons to dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images then display message
			rsync -a $dirstore/* /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "'''''''''''_______''___''''''___''''''''______'''_______''__''''_''_______'''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|'''_'''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|''''''|'|'''''''||''|''|'||'''''''|''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|''|_|''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|''_''''||'''_'''||'''|_|'||''''___|''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|'''''''||'''|''''|'''|''''''|'|'|'''||''|'|''||'''''''||'''|___'''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|'''''''||'''|___'|'''|___'''|'|_|'''||''|_|''||''_''''||''''___|''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|'''_'''||'''''''||'''''''|''|'''''''||'''''''||'|'|'''||'''|___'''''''";
			echo "''''''''''|__|'|__||_______||_______|''|______|'|_______||_|''|__||_______|''''''";
			echo "'''''''___'''_______''_______''__''''_''_______''''__''''_''_______''_'''''_'''''";
			echo "''''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''''''||''|''|'||'''''''|''|''|''|'||'''''''||'|'_'|'|''''";
			echo "''''''|'''|'|'''''''||'''_'''||'''|_|'||''_____|''|'''|_|'||'''_'''||'||'||'|''''";
			echo "''''''|'''|'|'''''''||''|'|''||'''''''||'|_____'''|'''''''||''|'|''||'''''''|''''";
			echo "''''''|'''|'|''''''_||''|_|''||''_''''||_____''|''|''_''''||''|_|''||'''''''|''''";
			echo "''''''|'''|'|'''''|_'|'''''''||'|'|'''|'_____|'|''|'|'|'''||'''''''||'''_'''|''''";
			echo "''''''|___|'|_______||_______||_|''|__||_______|''|_|''|__||_______||__|'|__|''''";
			echo "'''''''''''''''''''______''''_______''_______''______'''__'''__''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|''''_'|''|'''''''||'''_'''||''''''|'|''|'|''|'''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|'''|'||''|''''___||''|_|''||''_''''||''|_|''|'''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|'''|_||_'|'''|___'|'''''''||'|'|'''||'''''''|'''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|''''__''||''''___||'''''''||'|_|'''||_'''''_|'''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|'''|''|'||'''|___'|'''_'''||'''''''|''|'''|'''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "''''''''''''''''''|___|''|_||_______||__|'|__||______|'''|___|'''''''''''''''''''";
			echo "              Icons are now ready to use and available in vm manager.            "

if [ "$lastcount2" -gt "$firstcount2" ]; then

pushnotice "$totalnew2 new icons downloaded your vm manager"

else
						echo "No new icons downloaded"
						fi

fi

else

echo "."	

fi

if [ "$bannercount2" -gt "$bannercount" ]; then

pushnotice "$bannernew new banners downloaded to $dirbanner "

else
				echo "No new banners downloaded"
				fi

exit 0

script 2

#!/bin/bash
# this script works with icon_banner downloader
# It syncs the vm icon store on icon store folder on array with /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

#set location on server for download of icons same location as icon_banner downloader else script will not work
downloadlocation="/mnt/user/test"
# do not change anything below this line

dirstore=$downloadlocation"/icons/store"
#check if above location exist				

if [ ! -d $dirstore ] ; then

echo "$dirtemp does not exist please check you have icon_banner downloader script installed and run at least once and downloadlocation is set in this script the same "

else
						echo "Ok evrything looks how it should. Syncing vm icon store with dynamix.vm.manager "
						fi
rsync -a $dirstore/* /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

sleep 5
exit

icon_scripts.zip

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for all the great videos and info. They’ve helped loads in setting up my unpaid system, my Sierra vm is up and running as a direct result! I'm now keen to add some custom icons

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with these scripts.

When I run them I get the errors: 

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon_banner downloader/script: line 298: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon_banner downloader/script: line 303: syntax error: unexpected end of file

and,

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon sync/script: line 18: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon sync/script: line 24: syntax error: unexpected end of file

I’m sure I’m making an obvious error, but can you point me in the right direction?

Regards Graham

Thanks for all the great videos and info. They’ve helped loads in setting up my unpaid system, my Sierra VM is up and running as a direct result! I'm now keen to add some custom icons

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with these scripts.

When I run them I get the errors: 

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon_banner downloader/script: line 298: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon_banner downloader/script: line 303: syntax error: unexpected end of file

and,

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon sync/script: line 18: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/icon sync/script: line 24: syntax error: unexpected end of file

I’m sure I’m making an obvious error, but can you point me in the right direction?

Regards Graham

Hi Graham. It looks like there is a syntax error when you have copied the scripts/edited the scripts. Check those lines and look at the "

Or

I have edited the scripts and attached to this post and put in default locations to save the icons to before transferring them to VM manager

as the domains share. I have also set it to automatically download and put them straight into the VM manager.

If these settings sound ok with you just replace the scripts and use these as they are and it will work without the need to be edited :)

icons edited script  https://www.dropbox.com/s/831qhh41atsp9d5/icon%20scripts%20edited.zip?dl=0

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, jrdnlc said:

Is this still being supported? I tried to run script but says can't connect to your website @gridrunner

Hi @jrdnlc  

Yes, its still supported i think we have about 50 plus new VM icons (thanks for help @methanoid )  https://spaceinvader.one/unraidvmicons/

We and a load of new banners ( thanks to Anis El-Mariesh ) https://spaceinvader.one/unraidbanners/

The site was moved to another server this week and directory listing wasn't on for those folders afterwards, so the script couldn't see what was there.

It should work now :)

Edited by gridrunner
1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

Hi @jrdnlc  

Yes, its still supported i think we have about 50 plus new VM icons (thanks for help @methanoid )  https://spaceinvader.one/unraidvmicons/

We and a load of new banners ( thanks to Anis El-Mariesh ) https://spaceinvader.one/unraidbanners/

The site was moved to another server this week and directory listing wasn't on for those folders afterwards, so the script couldn't see what was there.

It should work now :)

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

I have two questions:

1. What are the recommended dimensions and resolution for the thumbs?  Is there a standard?

2. Can I simply create a PNG and drop it into a folder on unRAID and have it appear in the VM icon manager or is it necessary to install this script to get it done?  If there is a drag and drop location, what is the directory?

3 hours ago, fonzie said:

I have two questions:

1. What are the recommended dimensions and resolution for the thumbs?  Is there a standard?

2. Can I simply create a PNG and drop it into a folder on unRAID and have it appear in the VM icon manager or is it necessary to install this script to get it done?  If there is a drag and drop location, what is the directory?

I normally make mine about 220 x 220 but they will scale.

unRAID stores the icons in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/templates/images

However, this location isn't persistent so when you reboot the icons will go. That's why I use a location on the array and have it copy them to the correct location

on boot.

2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Thank you for creating this utility... keeps adding polish to an already great product!

What is the preferred method for contributing new VM icons?

Cheers.

Your welcome @DarkHorse

Just upload the icons somewhere to google drive, dropbox then link them here and I will then add them to the repo. Looking forward to seeing your icons :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 22/12/2017 at 9:11 AM, born2hayt said:

I'm working on some new icons but I figured in the meantime I'd share this banner I fixed.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AptXfPlakg9Agb4FCaXv7WQmSoN1Lg

The folder the finished icons will go it is here.

Thanks @born2hayt I have added those to the repo. i look forward to seeing your other icons when they are done :)

Edited by gridrunner
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...