Time Machine over SMB (Mac OS Sierra)

14 hours ago, phenomeus said:

tried everything by now… not working. same odd error "The network backup disk does not support the required capabilities"

even a freshly installed Mojave macOS on another macbook gets the same error. so I assume I have to search here at unraid for the solution. did exactly what everyone else did. hidden time machine, normal, secured, public, empty directory, deleted share, created a new one 

every time the same error. its mounting the drive but error 45 in console. I can upload files to it, its not about write permissions

I've had no issues at all but I've used a new share on my unraid server for Time-Machine and completely disabled AFP in unraid beforehand.

I tested with and without the use of my cache drive and settled on without since the backup speed saw little difference!

Both MacBooks are running the latest version of OSX.

image.png.e29ef4b2b406a8b164eb3ccedb951b97.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of problems to connect too until I changed the name of the share. I used "TimeMachine" as the name of the share and I got errors back from timemachine (Permission denied (error 13) even the username/password were correct) until I changed the name of the share to something else. Then suddenly it connected without problems.

Edited by boris

I tried that already. still no luck…

- afp is disabled

- Enhanced macOS interoperability is on

- public, secure or private doesnt matter

- new share names

- Different sizes

- with or without cache drive

- 2 MacBooks, brand new reinstalled or one that worked with afp 

- up2date macOS installations

- … 

On 4/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, phenomeus said:

I tried that already. still no luck…

- afp is disabled

- Enhanced macOS interoperability is on

- public, secure or private doesnt matter

- new share names

- Different sizes

- with or without cache drive

- 2 MacBooks, brand new reinstalled or one that worked with afp 

- up2date macOS installations

- … 

@phenomeus - my brother was just having this same issue with his. "The network backup disk does not support the required capabilities"

I tweaked his settings and seemed to fix it. He had the "Split level" set to manual - changed it to automatic and changed to only a single included disk and no cache. Also changed share name to "TimeMachine", set export to yes/Time Machine (hidden) and Public security and hit apply. Seemed to clear it up for him. Good luck!

Edited by sreknob
added in error

finally did it. sreknobs tips couldn't help… 

so I took all the crap out of my smb extra configurations:

[global]
security = USER
guest account = nobody
public = yes
guest ok = yes
map to guest = bad user
kernel oplocks = no
oplocks  = no
level2 oplocks = no

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end

and emptied it. voila! it's working. can anyone tell me what was important in that config?

• 3 weeks later...

I am having issues with the time machine not backing up. It starts and then it stops after a couple of minutes. I am using the Version: 6.7.0-rc8 over wifi 5.0. Can someone please let me know what i can do next to see why it keeps stopping?

Edited by Tucubanito07

Like many others, I'm having issues.

Just updated to 6.7 Stable and wanted to get TimeMachine working. I have all the appropriate setting on both the SMB settings and the TimeMachine share settings. My issue is when I open TimeMachine on my mac it doesn't show any backup disks to select, I just have the option for 'Other AirPort Time Capsule' whereas when I had this working with AFP in the past it would obviously show up the share I created in unraid.

Any help appreciated, Thanks. 

5 hours ago, cdevlin said:

Like many others, I'm having issues.

Just updated to 6.7 Stable and wanted to get TimeMachine working. I have all the appropriate setting on both the SMB settings and the TimeMachine share settings. My issue is when I open TimeMachine on my mac it doesn't show any backup disks to select, I just have the option for 'Other AirPort Time Capsule' whereas when I had this working with AFP in the past it would obviously show up the share I created in unraid.

Any help appreciated, Thanks. 

+1 seeing the same behavior. As a data point, my computer worked fine with the AFP time machine backup beforehand. 

I've used my Raspberry Pi 3/nVidia Jetson Nano/Apple Extreme with a TM USB disk... All work fine for exactly a week, then I get an error telling me that to improve reliability, it has to do a brand new backup. Backups are going via wireless which never were an issue until this version of macOS Mojave. I've somehow managed to get TM working on the unRaid box, so let's see how it does. If anyone's interested, feel free to ping me.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:57 PM, daze said:

I've used my Raspberry Pi 3/nVidia Jetson Nano/Apple Extreme with a TM USB disk... All work fine for exactly a week, then I get an error telling me that to improve reliability, it has to do a brand new backup. Backups are going via wireless which never were an issue until this version of macOS Mojave. I've somehow managed to get TM working on the unRaid box, so let's see how it does. If anyone's interested, feel free to ping me.

Have you gotten TM working with SMB or AFP? I had it working fine for years with AFP (still working fine) but wanted to migrate to SMB and ran into issues there.

4 hours ago, kubed_zero said:

Have you gotten TM working with SMB or AFP? I had it working fine for years with AFP (still working fine) but wanted to migrate to SMB and ran into issues there.

I believe I figured out my problem which I’ll share so you can try. I downloaded CleanMyMac X and ran it on the pc. It cleared some corrupted files on my pc and right now since yesterday night is backing up. If there is an application or a file that is corrupted, it till stop running. Hopefully that helps. I did use finder to connect to the server under Go and then Connect to server in order for the time machine to appear. 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, limetech said:

Note that AFP is deprecated in Unraid and will be removed in a future release.  Even Apple deprecated AFP.

Strange. I've got two machines running 10.14.4 that connect via AFP to the Time Machine share running on UnRAID 6.7.0 and they have been backing up without issue. 

I will experiment some more with the SMB share for Time Machine backup, but it hasn't been obvious so far. Is it in the sense that we'll need to create a volume on the SMB share and then back up to that volume, or should it just show up as a destination once we create the share? 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:07 AM, daze said:

Yes, followed a guide here.

Ah, then you're running the AFP version then if you followed the guide.

5 minutes ago, kubed_zero said:

Is it in the sense that we'll need to create a volume on the SMB share and then back up to that volume, or should it just show up as a destination once we create the share? 

If you create the share and mount it on a Mac it will appear as an available destination in TM settings (same as AFP). It is only necessary to mount the share for the first backup.

Edited by wgstarks
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

If you create the share and mount it on a Mac it will appear as an available destination in TM settings (same as AFP).

I can guarantee that did not happen for me when I tested it multiple times. New share called TMBackup created with private access to a user called "backup." Then connect to server on the Mac, "smb://ip.ip.ip.ip/TMBackup" and add in the user and password. See the empty share, then go to the Time Machine settings. Go to Select Disk and only the "Other Airport Time Capsule" is listed.

If you got it working, can you list the steps you took?

24 minutes ago, kubed_zero said:

f you got it working, can you list the steps you took

The only other thing I ever had to do was reboot my server. Perhaps you might want to post details of the settings you used for the share and any SMB Extras you have configured. Screenshots should work.

9 hours ago, kubed_zero said:

Strange. I've got two machines running 10.14.4 that connect via AFP to the Time Machine share running on UnRAID 6.7.0 and they have been backing up without issue. 

I will experiment some more with the SMB share for Time Machine backup, but it hasn't been obvious so far. Is it in the sense that we'll need to create a volume on the SMB share and then back up to that volume, or should it just show up as a destination once we create the share? 

Ah, then you're running the AFP version then if you followed the guide.

I did run AFP on the Raspberry PI, an actual Airport Extreme AC with an external USB disk, etc. 

I am now running on SMB in Unraid. I did the first backup using Ethernet, so let's see if/when I get the corruption message. AFP is currently supported, though maybe not officially, and it does work for now. I switched to SMB because in the future, AFP may be yanked out altogether. Though it would invalidate a lot existing official gear from the manufacturer. 

8 hours ago, wgstarks said:

The only other thing I ever had to do was reboot my server. Perhaps you might want to post details of the settings you used for the share and any SMB Extras you have configured. Screenshots should work.

Thanks for pointing me to the SMB Extras section. While that wasn't the issue (I don't use any SMB Extras parameters) it did alert me to the separate SMB settings page, where I saw the "Enhanced macOS interoperability" setting. I had this set to No because I've primarily used this unRAID server for Windows clients, but I stopped the server and enabled it and then started the server back up (no reboot needed). 

Immediately after enabling Enhanced macOS interoperability, I saw two new SMB Export dropdown options, Yes/TimeMachine and Yes/TimeMachine (hidden). I enabled that, set the 2.5TB volume size limit I had on my old AFP share, and then mounted the share on my Mac. Upon opening the TimeMachine Select Disk settings, I now see it listed. 

Great! So if anyone else is struggling, make sure the SMB global setting on the Settings page for "Enhanced macOS interoperability" is set to "YES" and that the SMB "Export" option for the share you want to use is set to "Yes/TimeMachine." I personally set the security to Private just so I have a clear user/password to log in. The option won't show up (I didn't even know it existed) until the global SMB setting is turned on. The only requirement here is to have the array in a stopped state while you change the global setting. 

Hope this helps! 

• 2 months later...

hey guys, I'm on 6.7.2 + macOS 10.14.6 and still have problems with an already presented TM backup/share over smb. 

the thing is still that it cant be reached from my MacBook(s).

ONLY when I stop the array and restart the array immediately it finds the share and is working flawlessly and as expected. how can I extract my log for this bug to track down? it has to unraids side doesn't it? 

Edited by phenomeus