Newbie wondering about RB-1200 Avail or Build Own

JRH147

Perfect timing - woke up this morning decided I needed a media server solution.  First link on Google pointed to an article about unRAID and building your own...came here...loved everything I saw... found a relatively cheap one that did everything I want...and found out it was sold out!

I'm wondering if there is any word on how long it will be before something like the RB-1200 will be available (the other ones are a bit too expensive for me).  Basically I'm deciding between either waiting for it (if its not too long) or going through the process of building one myself.

Does anyone know?

I'm wondering if there is any word on how long it will be before something like the RB-1200 will be available (the other ones are a bit too expensive for me).  Basically I'm deciding between either waiting for it (if its not too long) or going through the process of building one myself.

You can check this:

http://lime-technology.com/company/news/99-getting-caught-up-with-server-orders

...all server sales have increased to the point where we started falling behind...

Another run of RB-1200's is being planned & hopefully this product will be available again soon.

So yes, you could build it yourself, but when you add up everything, it's not likely you'll beat that price. (license included)

Perfect timing - woke up this morning decided I needed a media server solution.  First link on Google pointed to an article about unRAID and building your own...came here...loved everything I saw... found a relatively cheap one that did everything I want...and found out it was sold out!

Does anyone know?

email limetech to find out the answer.  The forums hear is supported by the community and we don't really have any knowledge of if/when something like the RB-1200 will become available again.

So yes, you could build it yourself, but when you add up everything, it's not likely you'll beat that price. (license included)

Agreed, the RB-1200 is one helluva deal.  The only reasons to build your own are if you:

1) Want a different form factor, such as a small 5-disk server

2) Really enjoy working on and building computers, as many of us do

Clearly, building your own gives you a level of control and customization that a pre-built server won't.  However, if you just want something that works with minimal effort and time investment on your part, you can't go wrong with the RB-1200.

As much as I loved building my own, if any friends ask me to build one for them, I will most likely just refer them to the RB-1200 instead.

Cool.  Thanks all.

Yeah, I had read that update, but was looking for something more concrete.  I"ll email for an answer.

I used to be into building my own comps, but would much prefer is someone would do it for me.  Thanks for the info about the comparison between the two approaches as well.