[solved] Unraid refuses to boot

gl3nn

I tried putting it in my windows pc and it founds some fault and it restored them. After that i ran the command chkdsk [drive] /f /r /x. but it still hangs on the same part

I recommend plugging flash into PC, make backup of your 'config' folder.  Then reformat the usb flash - volume label UNRAID - then copy over release from zip file.  Click 'make_bootable' as administrator (don't forget this step), then drag your 'config' file backup to the flash.

I tried putting it in my windows pc and it founds some fault and it restored them. After that i ran the command chkdsk [drive] /f /r /x. but it still hangs on the same part

I recommend plugging flash into PC, make backup of your 'config' folder.  Then reformat the usb flash - volume label UNRAID - then copy over release from zip file.  Click 'make_bootable' as administrator (don't forget this step), then drag your 'config' file backup to the flash.

Thanks i will try this when i get home tonight

Thanks i will try this when i get home tonight

This solved it! Thanks for the help :D

• 3 years later...

I am experiencing this now and I am unsure how to progress past the suggestions in this post (reformat usb flash).

Details:

- Sever was running fine for the last 18 months

- Did a hardware upgrade (new cpus, case w/backplane) this last weekend and ran into this issue once but a reboot fixed it

- Since then every time I reboot it has this issue. I have left it for 1 hour + with no change

Steps I tried:

- First I backed up my flash drive to my macOS desktop (verified it looked good, size was correct, etc)

- I used the `Unraid USB Creator` on macOS.

- Selected Stable, Unraid 6.8.1 (212 mb)

- Clicked Customize

- Checked Allow UEFI Boot

- Selected my flash drive and Clicked Write

- Replaced the /config folder from my desktop backup

- Tried to boot into unRaid, boot screen shows, tried normal (headless), with GUI, and Safe mode. All had the same result.

I have attached a 2 second video of the hanging.

I have attached a screenshot of the hanging (same as video, just not live).

Also, when I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard it tried to Reboot (SIGTERM), it never actually reboots, it hangs also. I uploaded a pic of that.

Thank you in advance, this is a super bummer for me as I have always had a really clean experience with unraid.

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

3 hours ago, trurl said:

This thread is over 3 years old and marked solved, but keep it here now that you have posted in it.

Are you booting from a USB2 port? You should.

Yes, I am using a USB2 port. It is the existing motherboard, flash drive, and same exact port as before (last 18 months).

Tonight I will try:

1. Get a windows 10 PC and run chkdsk on the flash drive
    1. This will determine if something is wrong physically or logically with the flash drive
  2. Try a brand new flash drive and clean copy of unraid (without my existing /config file)
    1. This will determine if something is wrong with the server's hardware (mobo, cpu, ram, usb port, etc.)
  3. Install a clean/new copy of unraid on a new flash drive and then move my /config folder over (I will need to move my license if this works, nbd)

Also, LMK if I should start a new thread for this, not trying to hijack and existing thread but it is the same issue.

Following up on my previous post.

First thing I did was to plug the flash drive into a Windows 10 PC, I ran chkdsk d: /f /r /x and it resulted in 0 errors.

Next, I had an idea, try formatting the flash drive using the Windows 10 machine. I figured there could be an issue isolated with macOS. Downloaded Unraid USB Creator Win32 and reset the drive. I did not add my /config folder back. It booted up quickly to `Tower login:`. I was able to browse to my server IP via another computers web browser and saw it as an unregistered copy of unraid. So far so good! I have eliminated physical problems with the machine and the USB flash drive.

Next I wanted to add the /config folder back to the drive but via the Windows 10 PC. Unraid booted up fine, it got past the rsyslogd.pid step.

So I am still a bit confused as to the root cause.

Potential culprits:

- macOS formatting might have an issue

- Copying /config from a macOS might have an issue

- Other?

I never did a memtest but will kick one off later this week.