I've got someone knocking at my unRAID SSH

Hey ya'll.

I've got an IP in China trying to get in via SSH

This is from my unraid logs:

Oct 13 23:33:42 Ogre sshd[21872]: Failed password for root from 221.229.172.74 port 27055 ssh2
Oct 13 23:33:42 Ogre sshd[21872]: Failed password for root from 221.229.172.74 port 27055 ssh2
Oct 13 23:33:43 Ogre sshd[21872]: Failed password for root from 221.229.172.74 port 27055 ssh2
Oct 13 23:33:43 Ogre sshd[21872]: Received disconnect from 221.229.172.74 port 27055:11: [preauth]
Oct 13 23:33:43 Ogre sshd[21872]: Disconnected from 221.229.172.74 port 27055 [preauth]

I just closed port port 22 on my router and the connexions stopped.

Any recommendations for using SSH outside of the home?

Besides VPN

Spooky.

No, spooky is thinking you can put your management interface ou on the internet and nothing will ever hit it.

Well, if you have port 22 exposed, you will get hits within a day.. At least a higher non standard port will make it a bit harder for them..,

Just a little bit though.

You really need to use a VPN.

No, spooky is thinking you can put your management interface ou on the internet and nothing will ever hit it.

Well, if you have port 22 exposed, you will get hits within a day.. At least a higher non standard port will make it a bit harder for them..,

Just a little bit though.

You really need to use a VPN.

True, but he didnt want that ;)

Trying to avoid VPN but I think I'll just use it.

I liked SSH because I could connect to my home and then use a proxy extension in Chrome to do what I wanted on unRAID and some other webapps without having to put my whole work computer on the VPN.

Sent from mobile

As soon as I start my work machine, it VPN's into my home openVPN server. only traffic to my home network gets routed through the VPN.. works great..

Fixed what?

Yeah Yeah Yeah

VPN here I come. Any recommendations?

My router has a few options built in including OpenVPN.

Sent from mobile

I was using my router's openvpn for a long time, but it developed a bug meaning my android phone couldn't connect.  So I switched to the linuxserver openvpn container.  Both work well.  The advantage of router based is that a restart of your Unraid box doesn't boot you off the VPN.