Windows 10 VM Will Not Boot

LordZekester

I have two VMs running on my machine. While playing Overwatch on one of the the VMs froze and was unresponsive. After restarting the VM ran for a couple minutes then froze again. On subsequent restarts it will only get to the screen with the Windows 10 Logo and the spinning circles. Then it freezes. Unraid says the VM is paused but it will not resume. This started while i had Version 6.1.9 and has continued after I upgraded to 6.2.1. I would like to have the machine back and at the very least I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me how to retrieve the data from the machine as my wife had pictures on there that she needs. I have tried removing the VM and recreating it. Let me know if I need to give you more info I attached my diagnostics.

unzeke-diagnostics-20161014-1133.zip

For multiple vdisk VM's, the boot order could get set incorrectly.

If you go into the edit XML option you will see a boot order=1 or something of that nature, try moving that to the correct system vdisk if it is incorrect.

As for restart/freeze issues, I want to make sure within the VM that you deselected the "Fast startup" option?

This is in the power settings somewhere (I think if you click the "What does the power button do"), and you want to disable this.

This can cause device initialization issues for VM's with devices assigned. Setting this and other useful recommendations/instructions are in the Wiki.

As for data on the vdisk, the data is still certainly there so you could assign it to most VM's and retrieve the data.

Certainly preferred to get it working with this VM, but you can access the files with something as simple as a "live" Linux install or something of the sort if you had to. I would even guess that Unassigned Devices could likely mount it and share access to it, but never tried so can't say for certain.

Thanks for the reply! I tried your suggestions but to no avail. I am currently getting the pictures off the VMs disc image using 7-zip on another computer. (I made the vdisks viewable to the network.)

I am going to transfer my wife to a physical machine since I am not experienced with unraid and think it was a tad ambitious to try to have our main computers as VMs. However my VM will now get paused by Unraid after my VM has been on for several minutes. Any suggestions on that front would be welcome.

Have you set the power settings in Windows to high performance, and any related settings in advanced power settings (I like to ensure selective USB, sleep, and some others are also disabled)?

Normally speaking a VM sleeps from either:

a) it actually is set to sleep

b)over committing of ram, not enough for the host (I've also seen this force stop the VM).

Archived