How To Permanently Fix "You Require Permission From Nobody" in Windows

DZMM

My family are starting to use my VMs, so I need a fullproof way that will ensure they don't get the dreaded 'You require permission from nobody to make changes to this file" message - I can't keep running the New Permissions tool everyday.  Note: this is not a problem with CP or Sabnzbd - these are personal files.

I've read a post that seems to say the problem is because of different usernames between windows and Linux and the two getting confused about which username successfully accessed a folder.  Can someone please say what is the correct way to ensure that:

User X-1 in Windows can permanently access their User X-2 files in Unraid i.e. where the usernames across the two don't match, but both belong to the same person.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sharing how I finally solved this in case anyone else has this problem.

Solution:  delete all credentials from 'Windows Credentials' and then create unique usernames for each user in unRAID that aren't the same as Windows ones.

So then you have your family members use the unRAID login credentials on the Windows machine to connect to your server?  I was thinking of doing this for my FireTV's and Popcorn Hour units so I can control access better.  I've also been reading up on ransomware and this has me a bit paranoid as well (i.e. using the same login with r/w permissions to my server).

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...