Best Way to Exclude Drive from Share?

Carl314

I have an existing Movies share with data on every drive, and want to exclude Drive 20 from that share, so I can put all of my music in a share on that drive.

I'm thinking the process should be:

1. Exclude drive 20 from the Movies share.

2. Move the Movies data from drive 20 directly to other drives that make up the Movies share (thereby avoiding the user share copy bug?)

Is this the right way to do it?  Should I reverse steps 1 & 2?  Or does it even matter?

Thanks for any help.

Carl.

I tried unbalance, unfortunately it appears to require that sufficient space exist on at least one drive to transfer files. I'm moving 2TB of Movies from Drive 20, and the other drives in the Movies share have about 400-600GB free each. So I'm going to have to move data over manually and spread it out over several drives.

What I'm really pondering, though, is whether I should exclude the drive from the share while there's still data on it from that share, whether I should move the data over first, or whether that doesn't matter.

What I'm really pondering, though, is whether I should exclude the drive from the share while there's still data on it from that share, whether I should move the data over first, or whether that doesn't matter.

What you had in your OP is correct. As for this question, the share settings only affect what unRAID does when writing new files to the share. Any reads for the share will include any disks that have the folder on it. I would go ahead and change it so nothing else gets written there.