Way to manually remove or delete VMs?

I had been fooling around with several test Windows VMs, messing with the XML, etc., and now have managed to screw things up enough that I cannot delete the VMs to start over.

That means I can't reuse my UUID that I need for my licensed copy of Windows, because it is currently reserved by one of these busted VMs.

If I try to delete any of these VMs (which are currently stopped), I get an error that:

Requested operation is not valid: cannot delete inactive domain with nvram

Is there a way to remove these manually? A config file or something on the flash drive? I located the actual VM disc image but deleting that will not remove the entry from the Unraid GUI.

The big problem is freeing up my UUID because it is tied to a paid version of W10, which right now is stuck on a useless VM.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had this exact error and then figured since the nvme drive is enabled and checked within the vm template to just go back to that busted or bad VM template and then uncheck NVME drive in the other pci devices section or just uncheck any usb or pci express devices and hit apply. Now you should be able to simply delete the vm without any error message.

Unraid is so logical that if you try to 'Windows' it, it won't forgive you for being stupid and it will just tell you off, but if you think like spock unraid just works.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, HectorG said:

Had this exact error and then figured since the nvme drive is enabled and checked within the vm template to just go back to that busted or bad VM template and then uncheck NVME drive in the other pci devices section or just uncheck any usb or pci express devices and hit apply. Now you should be able to simply delete the vm without any error message.

Thanks for this. I checked the button for my Logitech wireless mouse, updated the template, then was able to delete it without error.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...