ATTN: DELL H310 PERC USERS - OEM Heatsink or HSF

I just purchased and flashed a H310 PERC controller card.  After reading several forums on how to flash the card, I stumbled upon many users saying they had heat issues with this card and opted to remove the stock heatsink for a universal heatsink fan for better cooling. Has anyone done this?

This seems to be the popular choice: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Cooling%20solutions&type_sub=System%20Cooling&model=AK-210

No personal experience with this specific model, but generally RAID controllers tend to be used in servers, servers tend to have higher than average airflow through the case, where the stock heatsink would get plenty of circulation.

In a home use, people tend to minimize noise and thus airflow, leading to stagnation around the fins.

If your particular use circulates plenty of air past the card, you don't need additional cooling. Just be sure whatever you do keeps the card cool under load, whether that be ducting to an existing case fan, or a dedicated HSF module.

I'm using this controllers with stock heatsinks.

The air flow is low or almost none and until now, I have had no issues (knock on wood!).

Nevertheless, I'm thinking of incorporating an additional 120mm fan in the sidewall of the case that will blow air directly on the heatsink of both controllers. I don't like those small turbo fans.