Old server died - Error during new server boot

Hey everybody -

So unfortunately my old 16-core unRAID server took a dive, and began restarting every 3 minutes or so. I just tossed a new 24-core box in the rack, connected all of my drives to the new server, moved the USB boot drive over ANNNNND - error.

I've attached a screenshot of the error - "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block"

6X5Q71Y.png

I don't have any backups of this data (I know, I know - I just bought a backup server and will be setting it up after this new unRAID box is running) so I definitely don't want to lose my data.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

-DJ

memtest from the boot menu

Memtest has been running for almost 24 hours now, and here are the results..

WzDOIZ3.png

Or switch to a different USB controller (ie USB2 vs 3 or vice versa)

Being that this is a server, no USB3. I have two front USB2, three rear USB2, and one internal USB2. I've tried the flash drive in both the front and the rear with the same results. I could try putting it inside or adding a USB card if you guys think it would help.

Redo the flash drive from scratch.  IE: Format and everything.

But first make a backup of the entire flash drive onto your desktop.  After reformatting, and running the make_bootable script, copy the entire contents of the backup you just made except for bzimage and bzroot and then try again.

While I want to upgrade to 6.2.2, and get all of the wonderful dual parity, NIC bonding features, I'm assuming I'll want to first make the flash drive with the same version from which I pulled the files?

How can I tell (from the files I pulled off the drive) what version of the software I was running?

Actually shouldn't matter, but you can see the version that you had by looking at changes.txt in the root folder

If you redo the flash, be sure you save your key file BEFORE you reformat it.  You'll want to put that back on the flash drive after you've done a "clean" install.  May as well use the latest version for the flash drive -- there's no need to redo it with the older version you were using.

HOWEVER ... be CERTAIN that you assign all of your data drives correctly and don't accidentally install one of them as parity.  In fact, the SAFEST thing is to assign ONLY data drives -- NO parity drive -- and confirm that you can "see" all of the drives okay and your data is intact.  You can THEN add a parity drive and let it do the parity sync.  Do you KNOW (for CERTAIN) which drive was the parity drive in your system?

As long as you don't do anything that will cause writes to the drives (e.g. assign the wrong drive as parity) your data is okay while you sort out getting the USB flash drive to boot okay.  But of course you SHOULD get your data backed up as soon as possible after you get this issue resolved.

Redo the flash drive from scratch.  IE: Format and everything.

But first make a backup of the entire flash drive onto your desktop.  After reformatting, and running the make_bootable script, copy the entire contents of the backup you just made except for bzimage and bzroot and then try again.

Gave this a try - Put files from latest version on flash drive, ran makebootable script, deleted all files except for bzimage and bzroot, copied all the other files back over from the backup ANNNNNNND - same error :(

What version unRAID OS is on your flash?  For some older versions, if you have any USB storage devices plugged in besides the USB boot flash you could hit this issue.

unRAID Server OS Change Log

===========================

Version 6.1.9 2016-03-04

------------------------

- emhttp: fix buffer overflow vulnerability with webGUI login dialog

- glibc: version 2.17-11 (SSA:2016-054-02)

- libgcrypt: version 1.5.5 (SSA:2016-054-03)

- linux: 4.1.18

- ntp: version 4.2.8p6 (SSA:2016-054-04)

- openssl: 1.0.1s (SSA:2016-062-02)

- webGui: integrate dynamix version 2016.03.04

-

HOWEVER ... be CERTAIN that you assign all of your data drives correctly and don't accidentally install one of them as parity. 

Thankfully, my parity is a 4TB drive, whereas all my data drives are 2TB - so it should be rather easy to spot.

Did you redo your flash drive from scratch -- i.e. reformat it (labeled "UnRAID" and put a new copy of the current version on it?    If for some reason that won't boot, try booting in GUI mode -- a few folks have had issues where their servers wouldn't boot in standard mode, but would work fine in GUI mode.  Strange -- but it'd be useful to know if yours has the same issue.

I put the files from latest version on flash drive, ran makebootable script, deleted all files except for bzimage and bzroot, copied all the other files back over from the old flash drive backup, andddddd error.

Is there another way that I could re-do the drive, and still get all of my shares, settings, and my docker container back?

I put the files from latest version on flash drive, ran makebootable script, deleted all files except for bzimage and bzroot, copied all the other files back over from the old flash drive backup, andddddd error.

Is there another way that I could re-do the drive, and still get all of my shares, settings, and my docker container back?

I had a similar issue where no matter what I tried, I would get a kernel panic on boot. I tried a clean install on it and it still would not boot. Tried a *new* USB thumb drive with the backup of my flash drive and it booted up without an issue.

If you have another thumb drive laying around, try putting the backup of you flash drive on it and see if it will boot. unRaid will recognize that your new flash drive does not match your key file and prompt you from there to get key if you can.

I put the files from latest version on flash drive, ran makebootable script, ...

Good through this point ... NOW you should have booted to it to confirm that system would boot okay.    No need to assign any drives; configure anything; or whatever => you want to see if it boots okay.

... deleted all files except for bzimage and bzroot, copied all the other files back over from the old flash drive backup, andddddd error.

You should NOT have done this.  If there are errors in your old config, you've just moved them right back onto the newly created flash drive.

Shares are trivial => just be sure global sharing is enabled; and all top-level folders will be shares.  You can then go into the individual share settings and change any specific settings you want.

I wouldn't worry about reconstituing the Docker(s) until you have the system booting okay.

Just wanted to pop back and update everyone.

I ended up re-doing the flash drive a second time, by putting the latest files on, running the MakeBootable script, and replacing the config folder with a copy from before I wiped the flash drive (at the advice of @trurl). After that, I fired up the machine, and she works great!

When I try to boot into GUI mode, I get stuck at loading bzroot, but in standard mode, everything works as expected.

I really appreciate all of the help!