Cannot reboot windows. Display drops out

My windows 10 VM runs fine until it has to reboot. Either through needing to reboot when uninstalling / re-installing new display drivers or forced restarts from Microsoft to apply windows updates.

The funny thing is when it reboots I can see the bios screen and the windows 10 splash screen but just as it is about to load the windows login screen the screens blank and the fan goes to 100%. Re-setting the the physical pc at this point won't reset the graphics card. I have to do complete power cycle. I never experienced this on my 280x (this card is a Fury Nitro). Reading around the forum I heard some mention that some AMD cards don't 'reset' themselves very well.

As it stands, I cannot leave my pc on and have to manually shutdown and start the machine every time I want to use it. It also means the other vm isn't available for my wife to use.

Hibernate / sleep power settings are all turned off.

In my research on this forum I also read something about supplying the videocard ROM file manually? Could this help this issue? If so, how do I go about doing this?