5Tb drives for $85

I'm curious why these even exist. What common use case is there for a 2.5" drive that won't fit in a large percentage of laptops, and requires an adapter to fit in most desktops/servers...

As an external USB drive, it will be very popular if the price is anywhere near the forecast $85. Indeed, I'll buy several myself.

Why not just release it as a 3.5" drive?

There are already plenty of 3.5-inch 5 TB drives on the market, none of which come near the forecast price. If the price really is going to be low then surely the amount of material needed to build it is a consideration and there's a lot less metal in a 2.5-inch drive.

I'm curious why these even exist. What common use case is there for a 2.5" drive that won't fit in a large percentage of laptops, and requires an adapter to fit in most desktops/servers...

As an external USB drive, it will be very popular if the price is anywhere near the forecast $85. Indeed, I'll buy several myself.

Why not just release it as a 3.5" drive?

There are already plenty of 3.5-inch 5 TB drives on the market, none of which come near the forecast price. If the price really is going to be low then surely the amount of material needed to build it is a consideration and there's a lot less metal in a 2.5-inch drive.

I hadn't considered external drives... That definitely makes sense.

No idea if the $85 # is real or not, but the thought of 4 2.5" (15mm height) drives in a single 5.25" Bay is very interesting to me

1409781727174196829.jpg

I could eventually phase out my (4) 5 in 3 Cages for a few of the 4 in 1 5.25 instead.  I have to imagine there is a heat/noise/power advantage of the 2.5 to 3.5's in this use case?  Maybe worry about heat, although the 5 in 3 cages only use a single 80mm fan to cool all 5 3.5" drives and it does OK.

-SW2

Read about this a week or two ago on some news site. Supposedly the $85 figure is being misquoted by many sites. Problem is one site posts up an article and then a few dozen other news/tech sites rehash the same thing. I can't seem to find the link I read though in the browser history. I did find http://techreport.com/news/30860/seagate-5tb-barracuda-and-2tb-firecuda-drives-are-big-and-speedy , mentioning the 5tb drive being for $245 for now, 2 year warranty. And a 2tb firecuda sshd for $105 with 5 year warranty,  I think the original $85 might have been referring to this drive.

It will be interesting when more physically smaller drives with larger capacity starts to hit the market and become the norm. Should affect other hardware too, like drive cages, enclosures and cases as well.

I agree that the forecast price seems to be well off the mark. As suggested by korith, it looks as though some journalist made a typo which has been copied and pasted by others.

There's also some discussion as to whether or not the high capacity has been achieved by the use of SMR technology. It's a strange thing but after the initial fanfare SMR doesn't seem to have been developed as many expected. I'm surprised we don't have larger capacity Archive drives yet.