Drive stuck in "Historical Devices"

t33j4y

So, I had a disk failure and swapped in a precleared and formatted (XFS) disk that I had running as unassigned disk and only mounted a few times.

The array rebuilt using the new drive, and everything is fine. However, the drive that I swapped in now shows up under "Historical Devices" which kind of makes sense. But I am a bit uncertain if I should press "Remove" and if that might mess with the array. Have tried using the Help overlay in the GUI but that doesn't say anything about what the function does.

Any ideas?

Have attached screenshot.

HistoricalDevice.png.c3fcf8ef9abc87d4d802637f1104ddbc.png

Unassigned Devices has remembered the disk in case you ever plug it back in again as an unassigned device. It doesn't know that you won't do that or that you have re-purposed the disk by assigning it to your array. Click the Remove button and Unassigned Devices will forget it. It's quite safe to do so.

• 2 months later...

I've got a related issue: I have a former array drive in 'Historical Devices' that I know I don't want to add to the array—I want to copy the data from the drive into a user share on the array, and then see about RMA-ing the drive.

Do I click on 'Remove'? How do I get the drive spun up so I can copy from it, but definitely not add/include it in the array?

I've got a related issue: I have a former array drive in 'Historical Devices' that I know I don't want to add to the array—I want to copy the data from the drive into a user share on the array, and then see about RMA-ing the drive.

Do I click on 'Remove'? How do I get the drive spun up so I can copy from it, but definitely not add/include it in the array?

Plug it in and it will no longer be a Historical Device. It will be an Unassigned Device that you can mount.