cache pool confusion

Msan

I came across an issue while upgrading my server.

I had a cache pool with 2 1TB drives.

While transferring my drives to the new case, I was short 1 sata power cable, so I figured I'd just leave one of the cache drives disconnected.

I figured that my cache drive would be fine with just one drive, but it would not mount (it was drive 2 out of 2)

I have since just converted it to a single drive and changed the filesystem to xfs.

Did I miss something when trying to run the cache pool with 1 drive missing?? I would like to set it up as a pool again once I get my cable, but this should actually work with a drive failure..

Did you ever set up the cache pool with 2 drives connected?    If not then I suspect that is your problem as the cache could never be initialised with a missing drive.   

Note that if you want to later go back to 2 drives in the cache this will mandate using the BTRFS format so you might want to use this even with a single drive so you can simply add the second drive later.

Did you ever set up the cache pool with 2 drives connected?    If not then I suspect that is your problem as the cache could never be initialised with a missing drive.   

Note that if you want to later go back to 2 drives in the cache this will mandate using the BTRFS format so you might want to use this even with a single drive so you can simply add the second drive later.

Yes, it was originally installed with 2 drives.. I only moved everything to a new case and couldnt connect one of the cache drives.. I figured it would work with one of the cache drives disconnected, but it did not for some reason.. It should just work, or would I have do something to work with one missing drive?

Archived