[Plugin] ControlR

I'm having this exact same problem.

Nothing is installed except controlR, my windows VM. No dockers, no other plugins. Also I'm runing version 6.6.5

I seemed to have fixed this issue by forcing SSL from auto to Yes in Identification.  Have to enable HTTPS when adding the server from the phone app. Seems to be working okay.

Right, with ssl set to yes, you need to add the server securely in the app.

In any case, glad to know you sorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having problems with the Android App - I'm new to unRAID and to the app, so probably newbie error.

When I first tried the app, I saw "buttons" for power-down and a few others.  I believe I also saw info on each drive.

But now the main screen just has overall server quick stats and "started valid" and "update x min"

If I tap on it, I go to 2nd screen - same info in top blue area, left-right scrolling info on the two "starter valid" lines, and tabs for DOCKERS and VMS.  But NOTHING else.

I've installed the plugin and enabled the plugin server, but still not seeing everything on the app.

For now, my server is not password protected - is this the issue?  (I did have a PW on the server for a while, then removed it while I was doing dev/testing.)

Hi RobertP,

When you added the server, you entered some user other than root.

When that's the case, the UI becomes minimal, basically to control dockers/vm, with user permissions that you can set via the plugin's web interface.

If you delete the server in the app and add it back with root user, you'll see the full UI.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 5:58 AM, jbrodriguez said:

Oh ok, if you have SSL set to 'auto', the plugin interprets that ssl is on.

This needs to be pinned somewhere, I was so confused. By default unRAID has it set to Auto with no SSL certificate generated, so basically with default options your app doesn't work. I figured it out by actually creating a certificate and really going with https/ssl. I eventually changed it from Auto to Yes since I don't see disadvantage of using SSL anyway.

2 hours ago, dnLL said:

This needs to be pinned somewhere

Hi, it's written in the FAQ, from a user standpoint (what should I do as an app user), instead of from plugin's view (auto means ssl).

The last version of the app always connects to the plugin via ssl, regardless of the Unraid setting, so it shouldn't be a problem

You already solved it by doing ssl=yes, but I'm not sure what issue you were having.

Were you unable to add the server ?

Were you unable to access the additional features the plugin provides ?

19 hours ago, jbrodriguez said:

Hi, it's written in the FAQ, from a user standpoint (what should I do as an app user), instead of from plugin's view (auto means ssl).

The last version of the app always connects to the plugin via ssl, regardless of the Unraid setting, so it shouldn't be a problem

You already solved it by doing ssl=yes, but I'm not sure what issue you were having.

Were you unable to add the server ?

Were you unable to access the additional features the plugin provides ?

I was unable to add the server (the app by default was proposing an IPv6 server which is weird since IPv6 is disabled on my router and everywhere else, but even with entering my IPv4 it wouldn't see the server). SSL was disabled in unRAID (as it was by default on previous versions, not sure about now). I never enabled it until I had issues after downloading ControlR. By default SSL is set to Auto with no promoted certificate (so SSL is disabled with the Auto option).

Also, the FAQ says the following:

auto->add server via ip/hostname, https port (default is 443), secure switch on

Doesn't work if SSL isn't actually enabled (if you didn't promote a certificate, SSL won't work, the auto switch just sets it to No basically).

Edited by dnLL
4 hours ago, dnLL said:

the app by default was proposing an IPv6

Yes, that happens on some Android phones for some reason.

The app is just reading the phone's ip address from the network stack and proposing it (presumably less typing), but in some cases it picks up the IPv6 address.

Not sure why, Android phones and even provider's OS can be quite different.

As for auto, Unraid creates an SSL certificate and redirects http -> https transparently for the user, I'll check if that's still the case.

Or perhaps, new installs work a bit differently from older installs (fresh 6.6.x install vs upgrading to 6.6.x).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 6:09 AM, jbrodriguez said:

As for auto, Unraid creates an SSL certificate and redirects http -> https transparently for the user, I'll check if that's still the case.

Or perhaps, new installs work a bit differently from older installs (fresh 6.6.x install vs upgrading to 6.6.x).

I started with unRAID 6.4 iirc and the default behavior was not to create a certificate while set to auto. https would be fully enabled only if you generated a certificate by yourself with the webui. After upgrading to 6.6 that was still the case but maybe a fresh installation is different. Either way, it's working perfectly, I can now easily shut down a VM if I need to.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Do I need to use the companion plugin to use the app? I don't think I need to but just to confirm. 

I believe you will lose some functionality without the plugin running on unraid.

23 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I forwarded a port through my router to access the server outside of the location. 

This is not recommended. Unraid has very limited security and not intended to be exposed directly to the internet. A better solution would be to run an OpenVPN server on your network and access the unraid server that way.

Edited by wgstarks
4 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I believe you will lose some functionality without the plugin running on unraid.

This is not recommended. Unraid has very limited security and not intended to be exposed directly to the internet. A better solution would be to run an OpenVPN server on your network and access the unraid server that way.

I know the VPN part I use it as well but if my array goes down, my VPN goes with it. The security I have for unraid goes as follows.

I'm forwarding an unknown port to port 443 and accessing my unraid with a certificate from Let's Encrypt for SSL. Also I created a login password Plus I'm using ddns because I don't have a static IP

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed what I assume is the latest version of this plugin, I used the link in the first post. For some reason the plugin does not seem to start up, when I go into settings the plugin status is always "stopped". 

Any idea what I need to check first? I've changed the drop down to enabled, yes and I've tried several unraid restarts. 

Edit: Plugin version = 2.14.0 & unraid version = 6.2.4

Edit 2: Upgraded my unraid OS - now it works. (Or at least the bits of it that I need are working, there are still a couple of issues, but I think they have been addressed already in this thread so I can worry about it later. ) 

Edited by jj0076
Clarification

Thanks for the response. Would be great to have such a feature to unlock the app first before you're able to use it. Unfortunatly I'am not able to access the feedback.userreport.com page. No matter which browser i tried (IE, FF, Chrome, Edge) all showing a white page with the message "loading" and nothing happens.