[NeweggFlash] HP Z420 for $364.99 refurb

dimes007

I'm very happy with my workstation turned unRaid server.  If you're considering this route as well consider this slickdeals front page deal.

Specs:

Intel Xeon E5-1650 Six-Core Processor (3.20GHz) (nearly 12k passmark)

8GB DDR3 Memory (8 DIMM slots, Up to 64 GB ECC unbuffered DDR3 1600 MHz)

250GB SATA Hard Drive (NOT SSD)

Win 10 64-Bit Pro (Legit license keys useful in VMs)

600 Watt p/s

Bays:

Internal 3x3.5" bays

External 3x5.25" bays (so 4 or 5 3.5 HDD in a hot swap cage)

Slots:

2 PCI Express Gen3 x16

1 PCI Express Gen3 x8

1 PCI Express Gen2 x8 (x4 electrical)

1 PCI Express Gen2 x4 (x1 electrical)

I note the x8 and x4 slots are all open ended so pile in the x16 video cards.

1 Legacy PCI

Ports:  Ten SATA ports

2 AHCI 6 Gb/s

4 AHCI 3 Gb/s

4 SCU 3 Gb/s

To use for desktop/gaming and unraid/dockers add:

8 or 16gb of RAM

A hot swap cage and up to 8 disks.

An SSD for cache and vms.

A decent x16 video card.

Not a ton of drive bays for the $ but I think this is a reasonable candidate in particular for someone looking to experiment with unraid and vms before they make a substantial investment.  Use the included 250gb HDD.  Pass through the crummy NVS 295 video card to a Windows VM.  When you're comfortable with what you see then buy more RAM, better video card, SDD and HDDs.

I hope this helps somebody.

--dimes

The fun part is finding ram deals.  Them suckers normally require the $80 for 8 gig stick kind, just like the lenovo st140 and thinkstations.  Some times you can find them for $40 for 8 gig.  Mines been running 8 gig since 5.0 beta 5, she dont care :)

I have a Z600 that I originally bought for my second unRaid but then went with other hardware. One of the issues was confusion over the RAM. There was RAM that I thought should work and then vendors would also have system specific ram which looked basically identical to me on specs but was twice as much. I'd still like to get more RAM for it can you give me any direction on if I need the system specific stuff?

Hit up kingston and crucial.  They have lines just for hp, and just for lenovo.  else only go with whats on the recommended list.

It is hell.  Manufactures change chip suppliers often, so you cant even use 2 same model sticks if they are several years apart.  Getting more than 1 ecc unbuffered to work is also a pain.  Getting 4-8 sticks to work in a machine is like finding a unicorn.  If you are going to get more ram, buy 2 sticks, in the same package.

Thanks. I'll go with the system specific then.

I have 8GB (2Gb*4) now and 2 empty slots was hoping to get it up to 16GB. If I could find 6 4GB sticks being sold as matching that would work that would even be better. Apparently I also have the option of switching to registered if I replace all of them. It is just way too many specifications to keep straight for someone who doesn't do this for a living and is only casually informed.

If you have the option for registered (buffered) ram go for it.  It will be VERY cheap to get used server ddr3 vs even non ecc desktop ddr3.  And since its buffered its not real picky, at best you might have to figure out if you need 1.35v or 1.5v.  You might be able to get 32 gigs for 50 bucks if you find a seller with alot of small dimms.

http://www.natex.us/Samsung-8Gb-M393B1K70DHO-CKO-32Gb-Kit-p/32gb-m393b1k70dh0-cko.htm