Advice on new server build

Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for a while now, but need some advice on a new server build I am considering.

Currently what I have is:

- i3 3220T (low power)

- Asus P8H77-I Mini-ITX motherboard

- 16GB RAM

- Bitfenix Prodify case

- 6 drives (1 x SSD for cache, 1 x 4TB parity, 2x 4TB + 2x2TB for array)

I run the Plex and Transmission dockers, but also run a Windows 10 VM, and another VM for Linux Mint, plus one for Minecraft/Starbound servers

The main challenge I am facing is the lack of ram, but especially the speed.  What I wanted to do was to have the Windows 10 VM be running Emulation Station, and have it stream (via Steam in home streaming) to my Steam Link downstairs.  This is in addition to the gaming server VMs I have (I tried MineOS docker but found it easier to work in a straight ubuntu vm).    I'd also like to be able to set up a pfSense VM and get rid of the janky home router too.  Also, I have a bunch of spare 1TB drives I'd like to add to the array too.

This hardware is 4 years old now, so I'd like to look at upgrades.

What I'm thinking of is the following:

- E3-1225 v5 or Dual E5 2670s

- 64GB ram

- Motherboard - not sure yet?  Maybe a  Asus Z9PE-D8  or something? Supermicro?

I know the E5 2670s don't have onboard graphics, which might be an issue because then I'd need a seperate graphics card just for running unRAID... or would I?  I've not tried to actually run it with *no* graphics hardware.  Of course for debugging it'd be useful.

I'd want at least 1 PCIe pass through, preferably support for 2 for later on.  Either the motherboard itself should support 8 SATA drives out of the box, or maybe I need a card to do that?

I don't have a budget.  I can spend whatever I'd like, but within reason.  Ideally I dont want to change the hardware for at least another 4 years.

My questions are:

- Given the above workload, what CPU would people here recommend?

- What motherboard to go with it?

Thanks for any help!

T.

Hi, are you trying to stay in the mini-ITX form factor or going bigger?  I assume bigger but just to be clear...

Not constrained by mini-ITX.  The current mobo+CPU I'll just re-use for something else.  I'll probably get a full tower and some 5 in 3 bays, but, no, not constrained by space.

Any motherboard capable of a dual E5-2670 setup will likely have a GPU built in.

Oh really... I didn't know that.  I thought it had the hardware (VGA/HDMI out, etc) but still needed the CPU to have onboard graphics.  I'll investigate, thanks!

Server grade boards such as one you'll need for a dual CPU setup will come with a basic GPU chip (like ASpeed).

Any motherboard capable of a dual E5-2670 setup will likely have a GPU built in.

Oh really... I didn't know that.  I thought it had the hardware (VGA/HDMI out, etc) but still needed the CPU to have onboard graphics.  I'll investigate, thanks!

Server grade boards such as one you'll need for a dual CPU setup will come with a basic GPU chip (like ASpeed).

Which is used for IPMI as well. In general, if you have IPMI, you will have motherboard based graphics.