Safe Anti-Virus to use for Windows VMs?

Hi,

I've been reading a few threads - and experienced it myself - that running an antivirus can cause problems with windows VMs. Is there any anti-virus that is safe to use?

Previously I was using BitDefender 2017 with Malwarebytes which kept causing crashes, then went to Avira with Malwarebytes - similar issue.

Thanks,

Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 or older, or Windows Defender on Windows 8 or newer, both appear to function within the confines of a virtual machine.

Or you could fly by the seat of your pants, always guard any web access with an ad blocker, and hope you never get infected by drive by web malware. Chances are, if it's being passed off in a web advertising campaign, it probably isn't being detected by most desktop scanners yet anyway.

Agree with MSE/Defender.    Coupled with Malwarebytes, this is a good combination that provides excellent protection for Windows (whether on bare metal or in a VM) ... and at a very reasonable cost ($25/yr for MBytes; free for MSE/Defender).

+1

Microsoft's Security research has upped it's game massively since the beginning of Windows 10.

So agreed with this comment only Malwarebytes to compliment the builtin AV.

Actually just about any reputable security product should work fine -- my recommendation for Windows Defender coupled with Malwarebytes is based on the excellent protection these two products provide when used together, and the fact that Defender is free and Malwarebytes is very reasonably priced (actually free if you don't want to pay for the real-time protection, although I'd recommend using the Premium version for the real-time feature).

Avast 2015 employs a hardware accelerated hypervisor by default, because virtualizing the entire operating system is easier than writing an AV scanning engine that is compatible with everything the conventional way. This has caused problems for people trying to run "unknown" virtualization software on their Windows machines, as well as people attempting to run Windows inside virtualization products that support nested virtualization.