22GB used after format

thany

I've just set up my very first disk array. Just the two disks, nothing else. Totally simple.

After formatting is complete, it's reporting 22GB used.

There's a 21,5GB file on one of the disks called Docker.img, and another 1GB file called libvirt.img.

I understand these are meant to support virtual machines. But boy, why to they have to be so huge?

I don't know that I'll ever need more than 10% of that for my docker VM's, and I was going to put the rest of the storage to good use. But, 22GB is about one-tenth of my storage currently. That's insane, especially if you consider there's literally nothing there yet. Where did all that even come from anyway??

Bottomline is, I don't need or want HUGE files to be created on my disks without my permission. Who knows what else unRAID is going to bloat my disks with?

Even if I disable Docker, the file is still there. Again, with no containers added yet (remember, this is a totally virgin install)

If you disabled docker, you should have an option to delete the docker image.

When you want to enable docker again,  you set your own size.

Isn't the whole point of Docker that it's incredibly lightweight? Why must docker images live inside a huge honking container file?

I understand from a security standpoint, sort of, but why so huge? Why can't it auto-grow?

You can set it to the size you want. If you run out, stop docker and change the size, then start it again.

So now its OK to automatically grow the image? Didn't you complain earlier about the image automatically getting created?

Isn't the whole point of Docker that it's incredibly lightweight? Why must docker images live inside a huge honking container file?

I understand from a security standpoint, sort of, but why so huge? Why can't it auto-grow?

Stop Docker, Delete the docker.img and the 22GB will be returned to you. Simple as that.

So now its OK to automatically grow the image? Didn't you complain earlier about the image automatically getting created?

Yes and yes.

It shouldn't create a HUGE file automatically. But if it auto-grows, it'll start out as ony a few bytes. Possibly 0 bytes even. That's fine. What's NOT fine, is creating a 21,5GB file without permission. Imagine what a new user like myself thinks when seeing 22GB usage on a newly formatted drive? First "WTF? I formatted it didn't I?" and then after investigating, finding a humongous file "WTF is that for??", and then finding out it's for Docker, so "WTF, if it uses that much, why is it enabled without my permission in the first place??"

You see, confusion. Nothing but confusion.

I know this is a Linux product, but it's also an expensive product. A would expect a little thought to go into initial setting up stuff.

Stop Docker, Delete the docker.img and the 22GB will be returned to you. Simple as that.

It shouldn't have been taken from me in the first place. I never gave it permission to do this.

unRAID left a bad first impression on me, that's for sure. Not only because of this, also because of the other things I posted.

Yes and yes.

It shouldn't create a HUGE file automatically. But if it auto-grows, it'll start out as ony a few bytes. Possibly 0 bytes even. That's fine. What's NOT fine, is creating a 21,5GB file without permission. Imagine what a new user like myself thinks when seeing 22GB usage on a newly formatted drive? First "WTF? I formatted it didn't I?" and then after investigating, finding a humongous file "WTF is that for??", and then finding out it's for Docker, so "WTF, if it uses that much, why is it enabled without my permission in the first place??"

You see, confusion. Nothing but confusion.

I know this is a Linux product, but it's also an expensive product. A would expect a little thought to go into initial setting up stuff.

It shouldn't have been taken from me in the first place. I never gave it permission to do this.

unRAID left a bad first impression on me, that's for sure. Not only because of this, also because of the other things I posted.

Obvously you skipped over this page on the website: https://lime-technology.com/try-it/

They give you 30 days to sort out your issues with the product before you buy it. If you don't like it, you don't/didn't have to buy it.

Docker is not enabled with a fresh install. You have to turn it on. Quit trolling.

Docker is not enabled with a fresh install. You have to turn it on. Quit trolling.

He might be referring to the isos share that does get created automagically on a fresh install. I don't use docker or VM's so I just delete the share. But he has a point, it should be up to the user to create it. It puts mine on the parity protected array. Not a huge deal but an annoyance for anyone who doesn't intend to use it. So I can see where he's coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He might be referring to the isos share that does get created automagically on a fresh install. I don't use docker or VM's so I just delete the share. But he has a point, it should be up to the user to create it. It puts mine on the parity protected array. Not a huge deal but an annoyance for anyone who doesn't intend to use it. So I can see where he's coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. I did not realize that it did this with the newer versions by default. My Apologies! :)