Can't change network settings

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay, so the text should be changed to VMs must be DISABLED to change and why not make it a link that actually *does* what's required.

Heck, why not just simply allow changing network settings while VM's are enabled? Apply network settings should just do "disable VMs -> apply network settings -> enable VMs -> done". Why bother the user with petty things like this?

Okay, so the text should be changed to VMs must be DISABLED to change and why not make it a link that actually *does* what's required.

Heck, why not just simply allow changing network settings while VM's are enabled? Apply network settings should just do "disable VMs -> apply network settings -> enable VMs -> done". Why bother the user with petty things like this?

Because the VM's and Containers rely on those settings to operate properly. If you change those settings without stopping those services, they might not operate correctly after you change the network settings.

NO and NO.

1. You are stopping the corresponding services, hence the text STOPPED, which is the same as displayed in the service status.

2. Changing network settings with running Docker or VM services, will break these services.

You should really read up on unRAID before making these kind of comments.

Perhaps it should say "VM Service or Manager should be stopped." I ran into similar issues but figured it out with some trial and error; but I think it could be a more intuitive message as well.

I think thany is suggesting that the "Appy" button stops both VM and Docker services, applies the updated settings, and re-starts those services. It would be nice if that is possible for all setting pages that have this pre-requisite.

2. Changing network settings with running Docker or VM services, will break these services.

You should really read up on unRAID before making these kind of comments.

• 1 month later...

Also added a link that actually stops the services to be stopped?

I mean, it's a web interface... Changing the text to something more expressive is one thing, but by linking it the the required functionality, there can be no doubt that the user does the right thing that's required to get the job done.

• 4 months later...

Running 6.3.3 and trying to set a manual DNS entry and facing this problem however when I go to Settings > VM Manager there is just a message saying

"Your hardware does not have Intel VT-x or AMD-V capability."

There is no option then to disable the VM Manager as that's the only thing on the page.

Is there a command line I can use to stop the VM Manager?

Your CPU should at least support vt-x, it's probably disable in the bios, or you can disable the VM manager by editing the file domain.cfg on your flash device under folder /config.

Change SERVICE="enable" to SERVICE="disable" and reboot.

Thanks for that, will give that a go its more elegant than what I did to get round it which was to kill this process:

/usr/sbin/libvirtd -d -l -f /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf -p /var/run/libvirt/libvirtd.pid

It's an old Dell Box I had lying around that I'm using I tried enabling all the VM items I could see in the BIOS but it didn't seem to work. Got around it for now.

Edited by kanine
more info
5 hours ago, kanine said:

Thanks for that, will give that a go its more elegant than what I did to get round it which was to kill this process:

/usr/sbin/libvirtd -d -l -f /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf -p /var/run/libvirt/libvirtd.pid

It's an old Dell Box I had lying around that I'm using I tried enabling all the VM items I could see in the BIOS but it didn't seem to work. Got around it for now.

You need to stop the array before you can change network settings. Then docker and libvirt will be stopped also.

2 hours ago, saarg said:

You need to stop the array before you can change network settings. Then docker and libvirt will be stopped also.

That's another option, but you don't need to stop the array to change network settings, juts both the docker and VMs services.

5 hours ago, saarg said:

stop the array before you can change network settings

Thanks. Just confirming that worked as well.

Must admit the support in this forum is spectacular, initial problem was resolved within a few minutes which is great.