Moving to Xfs using spare pc and trial copy of unraid

So i have a 6.2.1 system that is still using rfs.

I have acquired and precleared enough drives to fit all the data from the old array.

What i was thinking of was copying my unraid stick to another one, and activating a trial copy.

Make an array with the precleared drives in a spare pc using the trial copy.

copy all the data from the old unraid box to the spare pc running the trial version.

Once that is done yank all the old drives out of the unraid box, and replace them with the ones in the spare pc.

copy the config from the trial stick to the licensed stick.

Then just re add the cache drive, and start the array.

Does that sound like a good plan?  Hell im not even sure i need to keep the drives in order if i dont have a parity drive yet, so i could just make a new config on the licensed stick.

The fastest copies will be if you can mount the new drives inside your existing chassis.  If not, copying over the network should work well, if a bit slower.

I'm not sure there's any reason to copy your current unRAID USB stick.  Just stand up a trial license on spare PC and create an array (it will be fastest without parity).  Then copy the data.  After you're done you'll have to create a new array in the main machine with the new drives or copy the config.  If you have any Dockers, etc. on the main machine I think I'd leave its config alone and I'd just do a New Config with the new drives to create a new array and build parity.

Good plan => and definitely safer than doing the conversion within the same machine.  I've seen FAR too many folks do something wrong in the process of trying to convert their drives and lose a LOT of data in the process [usually by getting "bit" by the "user share copy bug"].

As for copying internally vs. across the network => as long as it's a Gb network, there's not a lot of difference (and NO difference if you're using parity).    I'd simply set up a trial license (as tdallen noted, just use a different USB flash drive - no need to do anything with your current flash); set up the trial system without parity; and then copy away.    If you have more drives than you can use in the trial license; just fill up the ones you can support; then do a "New Config" on the trial and change to a different set of drives.    Once you have all your data on XFS drives; then just replace the drives in your existing system and do a New Config there.  Let it do a parity sync ... and you're done  :)

Note that this process also results in a complete set of backups (your old drives)  8)