To upgrade or not upgrade (to V6 that is)

cbr600ds2

Hi everyone! 

It's been a long time.  I'm glad some of the old faces are still around.  Anyways, I'm still a pretty basic unraid user in that I just use it primarily for storage.  I also am running v. 5.0.6 (The last V5 iteration). 

V6 seems intriguing in that it seems to be able to do so much more than 5 or 4.  Should I upgrade? 

Hi everyone! 

It's been a long time.  I'm glad some of the old faces are still around.  Anyways, I'm still a pretty basic unraid user in that I just use it primarily for storage.  I also am running v. 5.0.6 (The last V5 iteration). 

V6 seems intriguing in that it seems to be able to do so much more than 5 or 4.  Should I upgrade?

So long as you can hit the basic minimum requirements (4Gig ram and a 64bit processor), you're better off upgrading for the extra features.

Based on your signature, you're probably using an Athlon II X2 255 => this has a PassMark of 1840, which is plenty of "horsepower" for v6.    Low-end CPU's (PassMark below 1000) can struggle a bit with the higher CPU demands of v6, but yours is fine ... so yes, I'd agree it makes sense to upgrade.

I've got 4 servers, and have updated 3 of them to v6.  I left one on v5 for a few reasons:  (a) so I still have a v5 server to look at when somebody on the forum asks questions from v5;  (b) it's used purely as a NAS and there's nothing v6 adds that I would use anyway;  © it's running on an Atom D525 that only scores 701 on PassMark, which would be pushing it for v6;  and (d) it's ULTRA RELIABLE and ROCK SOLID as is, so there's simply no need to change it.    I suspect this server will never be upgraded  :)

© it's running on an Atom D525 that only scores 701 on PassMark, which would be pushing it for v6;

My unRaid machine powered by an Atom D525 is currently running 6.1.9 and it performs pretty well (for a 6 year old low-end system ;)).

I'm currently thinking whether I should upgrade to 6.2 or not.

The only reason I did not upgrade yet is this known issue:

Reported performance issues with some low/mid range hardware.  No movement on this yet.

what do you think?

I'm currently thinking whether I should upgrade to 6.2 or not.

The only reason I did not upgrade yet is this known issue:

Reported performance issues with some low/mid range hardware.  No movement on this yet.

what do you think?

I'd ignore that.  I reported performance issues when I upgraded, but then discovered that a change in the 6.2 tunables made my own settings not optimal.  Once I corrected my disk tunables, I was back to full performance.  If you have played around with those, just set them back to stock and you'll be fine.