Qemu DSDT patch for Mac OS X 10.6 - 10.7.4

kode54

This patch appears to be mandatory for running the topic listed versions of Mac OS X on an SMP system. It claims it only affects PIIX based "hardware", but I find the same error occurring on Q35-2.4, Q35-2.5, and Q35-2.7. And I cannot even make my Seabios boot loader boot into either Snow Leopard or Lion on a host-passthrough "uniprocessor" system, nor can I figure out how to simulate a uniprocessor system that will satisfy the installer.

Getting this working with Seabios and a simple <kernel> loader is but one possible way to have a working system, which may then have Clover installed on it, and then converted over to an auto booting OVMF machine.

My purpose in using a system this old is for compatibility targeting old machines with some Homebrew and Xcode trickery, and maybe eventually toying around with Rosetta.

This article has been updated as of September of 2016, and still links to that patch. I find no signs of the relevant changes in the specified file in the Git repository.

I suppose it could be a test release, since the alternative is finding out that it still somehow causes XP to bluescreen, even though it technically shouldn't trigger unless the VM has an Apple SMC attached.

It's really only relevant for installing and using 10.6 through 10.7.4, though. Skipping straight ahead to at least 10.8, or starting with a pre-installed image of 10.7.5, bypasses the need for this patch. It's really only needed for installing legacy software, not anything modern.

You can understand my reluctance to patch QEMU.  Once done, it means we're on the hook to keep doing so.  It's like out-of-tree drivers - if something changes such that the patch no longer works, someone is "stuck".

Also you're saying this patch is only necessary for really old versions of osx?  Meh, not a good enough reason to taint QEMU.

Finally, unless you're running unRAID OS on Mac h/w this is against the OSX EULA.

Three strikes: not gonna happen  ;)