Can I add a "Device is disabled, contents emulated" disk back in to the array?

Homerr

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get some help.  Getting the same issue about the Device being disabled - contents emulated.

Attached I have included the Diagnostics and SMART report.  

I have another hdd on standby I can use to replace Disk 2 but if I don't have to toss the disk I'd rather not. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

Jon

scornflix-smart-20211020-0914.zip scornflix-diagnostics-20211020-0914.zip

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You should always start a new thread, but since you're here, there were simultaneous errors on 5 disks, disks 1 through 5, disk2 got disabled because it was the first to give write error, it could happen to any of the 5, this is usually a power/connection problem.

Thank you for the quick reply.  Should I start a new thread now or just go w/ this one?

My server is connected to a UPS and I was seeing some UPS warnings about loss of communication.  Should I just shutdown the server and connect the power cable to regular Power strip?  

Also - a parity check was completed yesterday and it says Parity is valid

Last check completed on Wednesday, 10/20/2021, 07:27 AM (today)
Finding 2560 errors  Duration: 1 day, 3 hours, 57 minutes, 35 seconds. Average speed: 139.1 MB/sec

Thank you for your help.

Jon

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can but unlikely to help, since only a few disks had an issue, see if they have something in common, like a power cable/splitter.

I'm using 2 of those hot swappable cages that house 5 hdd bays each.  Parity drive and drives 1-4 are in one cage and drives 5-7 are in another cage.  I have 2 more hdd's on standby in bays 9 and 10 ready to deploy.  

Since it's drives 1-5 that showed an error and drive 5 is in a separate bay.  Drive 5 and Drives 1-4 don't share anything like a cable/splitter.  

Having only 1 parity drive and having 1 hdd out of commission is making me nervous.  I used to have 2 parity drives but then started thinking it was overkill since I haven't had any issues for like 4 years with another service and 3 years so far with my current server.  So I got rid of the 2nd parity drive.  

Should I just go ahead and take out Drive 2 and rebuild the array using one of my spares?

Thanks.

Jon

Edited by jon928
On 10/21/2021 at 4:23 AM, JorgeB said:

You can rebuild on top of the old disk, just make sure the emulated disk is mounting and contents look correct before doing it.

Thanks for your help.  I just switched out Disk 2 for a spare I have and rebuilt the array.  Everything looks good now.  

Appreciate your help!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Helle everyone,

I am having issues caused by a Seagate HDD in my Unraid System.

Its still in test mode so no real data issue.

Still I want to ask you to look at the log file so I might know more and whether I need to replace the disc or the root cause might lies somewhere else.

Setup: One parity drive, one cache drive and one in the array. The one in the array is causing issues.

Issue: in „main“ the disc in the array is marked as disabled and has 1024 errors.

Attached you can find the log file.

Do you need any other information?

Kind regards 

Toby 

Portierungsformular EDNT.txt

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 11:56 AM, JorgeB said:

Anyone know how to find this old documentation?

The new documentation doesn't really exist and the old one https://legacy.wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Troubleshooting

seems differtent.

I did some tinkering with APSM roots and one of the drives has disabled. It will only be some minor file if at all (as my array shares are mainly read only) and I would prefer to not rebuild a whole drive as it takes about 32hours.

Edited by dopeytree

You either have to rebuild the disk, or New Config and rebuild parity instead. Otherwise, your array will be out of sync. If you are sure none of your array has been written, you could New Config and Trust Parity, but you would need to do a parity check to verify.

• Like 1