Upgrading CPU/motherboard

ajvirus

Hey community,

I'm looking to upgrade from my q6600 setup to a i7 3930k setup. In a new 4224 Norco case. With 9211-8i and Intel re24 card.

Will I loose my setup if I transfer all the hard drives and the USB to the new build?

Is there a proper way to migrate when adding new raid/expander?

Thanks!

AJ

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Apologies if this is a thread hijack but it seemed better than starting another.

I've been running my little atom based server for the last 6 years, and whilst it has literally "served" us well, I'd like to play around with VMs etc and as such will be upgrading some hardware (inc motherboard and cpu).

Do I understand correctly from the above reply that with UnRaid 6 there is very little to do and that the below wiki entry for v4&5 is no longer relevant?

Thanks in advance.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Motherboard_in_Your_unRAID_Server

With v4 you had to manually assign your disks.  With later versions the disk assignments are by serial # on the drives, so the configuration stored in the flash drive will automatically find them when you boot on new hardware.

I DID assume the OP was running a reasonably current version of UnRAID => if that's not the case, then you do indeed need to note your disk assignments; and will have to reassign them on the new hardware.

Best approach if that's the case:  Upgrade to the newest version of UnRAID ... THEN do the hardware upgrade.

Archived