4Users 1PC

Azo

Hello

I work in azo and im doing a Projekt for a competition. My Team and I decided to build a powerfull PC, so that we can split it into 4 PC's. We decided we want to do it with LimeTech(unRAID). Here are our specs:  Mainboard: Asus Z10DE-D8 WS, CPU's:  2xXeon E2630 v4, Graficcards:  4x GTX 550Ti, RAM: Kingston ECC Ram 4 sticks with 16Gb each. At the start we only managed to get one VM Working and that was were the 3rd GPU was installed. I knew I had to activate the onboard graphics but on this Mainboard it was quite difficult. After a long search we found out that if we put video in the BIOS on UEFI and not Legacy, it would finally display the BIOS with the onboard graphics(VGA Connector), so the GPU 1 is not getting used anymore, after that we got VM 1 and VM 2 running with GPU 1 and GPU 2. Now we have 2 new problems, we have no internet connection it sais that the ethernet-adapter has no suiteble driver in the VM it self(No Internet in the VM), we have the network brigde on br0. What can we do? And the second problem is that VM 3 and VM 4 just dont want to boot, nothing happens just a blackscreen. Can you help us please?

I managed to get it to work with 4 Users, the problem was (I think) that the last 3 PCIE slots have a problem, they get labeled from unRAID with 83:... 84:... instead of 07:... 08:... The thing I did was put 4x 1slot GPU's, their rly weak tho, in the first 4 PCIE slots. They got labeled GPU 1 03:00.0, GPU 2 04:00.0, GPU 3 05:00.0, GPU 4 06:00.0. And that was it the VM's were able to start, I think that the mainboard has a problem.

Thank you for reading this.

As far as the network goes, you should just need to install the driver from the virtio ISO.

What is different from VM 3 and 4? Did you make any significant changes or did you clone the working one?

No I didn't clone it, I just don't know why but it doesn't boot. Just a blackscreen. I did the same with all the 4 VM's no significant changes maybe storage wise like some GB more on VM 3 and 4 but I dont think that is the problem. From where can I get that driver? And then, where do I have to put it in? In the ISOs Folder?

hi

do you have any options in bios to control the mode of the pcie? (16x, 8x)

i would play with that maybe something comes up.

550ti is pcie 2.0 16x (which is equivalent with pcie 3.0 8x) - maybe gpu too old for this motherboard?

also read this info:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Warning:_Passing_through_a_GPU_to_a_SeaBIOS-based_VM_will_disable_console_VGA_access

So you might need to play with some settings, as you see in the wiki recommendations.

One thing to note: i personally could not switch from ovmf to seabios once the VM was created (so this option to switch was enabled only up to machine creation, when defining it. Once it was created, i could not switch it, so i had to recreate again). i was not passingthrough any GPU though...

hi

do you have any options in bios to control the mode of the pcie? (16x, 8x)

i would play with that maybe something comes up.

550ti is pcie 2.0 16x (which is equivalent with pcie 3.0 8x) - maybe gpu too old for this motherboard?

also read this info:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Warning:_Passing_through_a_GPU_to_a_SeaBIOS-based_VM_will_disable_console_VGA_access

So you might need to play with some settings, as you see in the wiki recommendations.

One thing to note: i personally could not switch from ovmf to seabios once the VM was created (so this option to switch was enabled only up to machine creation, when defining it. Once it was created, i could not switch it, so i had to recreate again). i was not passingthrough any GPU though...

That might be a good Idea thx, I will try it when im working again that sounds pretty logical. Thank you a lot

500 series nvidia gpu can have issues with passthrough especially if you want to use uefi bios.

I tested some of them and got bad stability results.

from 600 series on this seems to be fixed.

just my 2 cents but I would definetly rethink and maybe choose some newer card like the 1050 (ti)

500 series nvidia gpu can have issues with passthrough especially if you want to use uefi bios.

I tested some of them and got bad stability results.

from 600 series on this seems to be fixed.

just my 2 cents but I would definetly rethink and maybe choose some newer card like the 1050 (ti)

Yes thank you I will reply again on monday when I have tried it out. It just makes no sense that only 2 VM's work, it musst be a gpu thing. Because unRAID registers GPU 1 03.00.00 and GPU 2 04.00.00 and suddenly GPU 3 is at 81.00.00 and GPU 4 at 82.00.00. Maybe thats a GPU thing.

What IOMMU groups are the cards on ? Check it on the Web GUI unser System devices.

They are in individual groups. But that is so weird that it jumps from 03.00.00(/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/49/devices/0000:03:00.0) and 04.00.00(/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/50/devices/0000:04:00.0) to 81.00.00(/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/57/devices/0000:81:00.0).

Hello

I managed to get it to work with 4 Users, the problem was (I think) that the last 3 PCIE slots have a problem, they get labeled from unRAID with 83:... 84:... instead of 07:... 08:... The thing I did was put 4x 1slot GPU's, their rly weak tho, in the first 4 PCIE slots. They got labeled GPU 1 03:00.0, GPU 2 04:00.0, GPU 3 05:00.0, GPU 4 06:00.0. And that was it the VM's were able to start, I think that the mainboard has a problem. Now I need help with the Internet issue in the Vm itself could somebody help, Im thinking of installing normal drivers for the Ethernet adapter, with a USB.

I work in azo and im doing a Projekt for a competition. My Team and I decided to build a powerfull PC, so that we can split it into 4 PC's. We decided we want to do it with LimeTech(unRAID). Here are our specs:  Mainboard: Asus Z10DE-D8 WS, CPU's:  2xXeon E2630 v4, Graficcards:  4x GTX 550Ti, RAM: Kingston ECC Ram 4 sticks with 16Gb each. At the start we only managed to get one VM Working and that was were the 3rd GPU was installed. I knew I had to activate the onboard graphics but on this Mainboard it was quite difficult. After a long search we found out that if we put video in the BIOS on UEFI and not Legacy, it would finally display the BIOS with the onboard graphics(VGA Connector), so the GPU 1 is not getting used anymore, after that we got VM 1 and VM 2 running with GPU 1 and GPU 2. Now we have 2 new problems, we have no internet connection it sais that the ethernet-adapter has no suiteble driver in the VM it self(No Internet in the VM), we have the network brigde on br0. What can we do? And the second problem is that VM 3 and VM 4 just dont want to boot, nothing happens just a blackscreen. Can you help us please?

As you have edited this post in bold I am confused as to which problems you are still having.

If you are having issues with gpu and black screens try passing through the rom file for the gpu. I did a video about this in this post here

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52960.0

Also you may be interested in the 3 gamers 1 cpu i did here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53169.0

Hello

I managed to get it to work with 4 Users, the problem was (I think) that the last 3 PCIE slots have a problem, they get labeled from unRAID with 83:... 84:... instead of 07:... 08:... The thing I did was put 4x 1slot GPU's, their rly weak tho, in the first 4 PCIE slots. They got labeled GPU 1 03:00.0, GPU 2 04:00.0, GPU 3 05:00.0, GPU 4 06:00.0. And that was it the VM's were able to start, I think that the mainboard has a problem. Now I need help with the Internet issue in the Vm itself could somebody help, Im thinking of installing normal drivers for the Ethernet adapter, with a USB.

As you have edited this post in bold I am confused as to which problems you are still having.

If you are having issues with gpu and black screens try passing through the rom file for the gpu. I did a video about this in this post here

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52960.0

Also you may be interested in the 3 gamers 1 cpu i did here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53169.0

I managed to fix the problem with the GPU's. But I have a big problem, I have no internet in the VM itself and I could use some help, I have no Idea how to fix this.

Archived