[Plugin infrastructure] Passing password from WebUI to plugin without logging

I'd like to request some sort of mechanism to pass arguments (e.g., passwords) from a plugin's WebUI page to the plugin's scripts without logging the string in the syslog.

I'm working on an encryption plugin which needs to pass an encryption password/key from an input field to the backend scripts to mount/encrypt/decrypt a volume, and the unraid 6.1+ plugin system seems to log all parameters.  It seems inappropriate to log that password/key.

Perhaps for these fields, they can be passed from the form submission in "redactN" arguments that get logged as "*****" or "[REDACTED_FIELD]" instead of "argN" arguments -- and always present the "redact" variables contiguously after all the "arg" variables to the underlying script?

• 1 month later...

I have an updated encryption plugin for 6.x that I'd like to release.  Encryption has been a widely requested feature on unraid for many years that hasn't received any real first party traction.  An encfs implementation isn't nearly as good as a proper solution that lives below the unraid layer, but could help bridge the gap until real disk encryption is implemented for unraid.

However -- I'm not comfortable putting up a "release" of an encryption plugin which logs its password.  This just provides a false sense of security, which is arguably worse than none at all.

I wanted to bump this up and request its inclusion ASAP or in the upcoming 6.3 please?