[Support] Linuxserver.io - Resilio Sync

Usually you mean to sync from somewhere, to somewhere else. Not necessarily two-way.

If you want to sync from a device to your NAS, for example, you should select the stuff you want to sync on your device and get a read key. Then enter that key on your NAS GUI and it will start syncing everything in that folder on the device. The same goes the other way around.

This is a filesharing or sync application, not a dropbox type thing. If you require that, go for something like NextCloud or OwnCloud.

Edited by Froberg
19 hours ago, Froberg said:

Usually you mean to sync from somewhere, to somewhere else. Not necessarily two-way.

If you want to sync from a device to your NAS, for example, you should select the stuff you want to sync on your device and get a read key. Then enter that key on your NAS GUI and it will start syncing everything in that folder on the device. The same goes the other way around.

This is a filesharing or sync application, not a dropbox type thing. If you require that, go for something like NextCloud or OwnCloud.

I'm not sure I get what youre saying. Resilio desktop version allows me to create a folder and I can move things into that folder. The container appears to have no way to actually add files to any created folders. Lets say I have my unraid server and a desktop in another location entirely. I want to share some files from my unraid server and have them sync to the desktop in another location. From the container, how am I meant to add those files so they can be sync'd to the other system? I cannot find a way to do it from with the GUI, I can't do it over LAN from another machine.. So how would I get those files to the other machine?

I hope I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense. Is there a way that I can grant permissions so I can write to the share over LAN?

You have to share the mapped sync folder over the network if you want to access it via file explorer and give your user permissions to the share.

3 hours ago, 2Piececombo said:

I'm not sure I get what youre saying. Resilio desktop version allows me to create a folder and I can move things into that folder. The container appears to have no way to actually add files to any created folders. Lets say I have my unraid server and a desktop in another location entirely. I want to share some files from my unraid server and have them sync to the desktop in another location. From the container, how am I meant to add those files so they can be sync'd to the other system? I cannot find a way to do it from with the GUI, I can't do it over LAN from another machine.. So how would I get those files to the other machine?

I hope I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense. Is there a way that I can grant permissions so I can write to the share over LAN?

You have to map the sync folder as a user share. Or just add stuff to your client and let it sync.

Lets say for a minute that I don't want to access it via file browser. I still see no way to add files. You've not really answered that question. What's the point of running this docker on my unraid server if I can't add files from the server? I have resilio running as a docker container on my server. A few friends have it running on their PCs in various places. I want to share a file with them. I've created the folder in resilio, shared it with them, but now how do I get files into it? I suppose Krusadrer would work? But it seems silly to have this as a docker and have no way to manage files without something else like Krusader. 

Now to permissions for network access..

"You have to map the sync folder as a user share."

I've attempted this 2 ways. First I created a user share in unraid, then in the template for resilio i mapped /sync to the share (/mnt/user/resiliotest) I Tried all the share security settings (public, secure, and private) and none of them allowed me proper permissions from over the network. (i should note my windows pc username/password is the same as the credentials i used when creating an user in resilio upon first launch, and are also the same for my share in unraid) 

Then I deleted resilio and started over from scratch. (removed the appdata for it as well to be sure there was no left over config files that may cause problems) This time I did NOT create a user share before installing resillio. I mapped /sync to /mnt/user, then from within resilio created a new folder (which in turn created a new user share in unraid) Same result, no permissions to move files to the folder. The whole point of me running this on my server is to avoid installing it on my PC (and the files I want to share are on my array anyway) 

I don't know any other way to configure share permissions to allow this to work. What am I missing?

Disregard.. I have solved my problem.. for now. 

Edited by 2Piececombo

I want to keep a copy of my Media share synced from my Unraid sever to my friends Unraid server and am considering using Resilio sync for this. I would do the initial sync locally and then return his server and sync remotely after the initial sync.  As of today my Media share has 14 TB and 22,000 files.  My friend is willing to do this but he does not want to open any ports on his firewall and is not interested in running a VPN b/w the two locations. A few questions:

1. Would Resilio sync be a good solution for this?
  2. Reading through this thread it seems that Resilio can sometimes fill up the docker.img file. Does that scale with the size of the sync job? In other words, would syncing 14TB be an issue? What would be a good size for the Docker.img file?
  3. I currently have a Windows VM that I could use to run Resilio instead of a docker. Is there any advantage/disadvantage using the VM instead of a Docker?

1. You can select the ports, but yes, you need to be able to open ports. Using VPN would void this requirement, although I've not tried setting up a specific docker over a VPN other than one that came with VPN built-in.

2. Log issue is solved by setting log-values for the docker.

3. No. Less overhead on a docker, but it's a web-ui so..

I just realized I could've been more helpful regarding the log-issue;

I've set this as extra parameters on the docker; --memory=2G --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1

Edited by Froberg
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MrDatum said:

Thanks Froberg. I thought that Resilio had NAT-traversal to let you sync remotely without having to open ports. Is that not correct?

Thanks for the info on the log files.

Depends on router upnp, either way it's ports opened by my reckoning.

Edit; opening up to the possibility that I am wrong on this, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct me. Mine's just running on the local LAN - but since it's BT protocol one assumes that upnp be required. But yeah.

Edited by Froberg
  • 2 months later...

I'm having a problem trying to figure out what I should put for the paths when installing this.  I have syncthing installed and am using the following paths.  For Resilio I'm just not sure what to put for the /download path.

The delugetorrents is the name of an unassigned disk and on there is a folder where I have syncthing downloading the files to so Sonarr picks them up.  I'd like Resilio to use the same.  Can I have the /sync and /downloads the same?

Syncthing

image.thumb.png.d2a3c46608d65532aa83162febc65d76.png

Resilio

image.thumb.png.c28369a69ac88838bfddf55430a3fc66.png

• 3 weeks later...

Edit..Update.. I forgot that i had posted this.. It's now fixed and it's very simple, go down a couple of posts to see the solution.

I'm getting an error 'Agent Run Out of System Notify Watchers'

(this basicly means i have to many subfolders to watch them all so it watches none)

the Resilio forum says i need to do this by entering code but it assumes i'm running Linux OS.

I'm not sure how to add it. (i guess as a variable)

under linux i should add this text '' fs.inotify.max_user_watches=12000 ''

to the sysctl.conf file but i don't think it has this file under docker (or i cant find it anyway)

if anyone has any ideas please.....

Edited by mdrodge
On 5/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, DigitalDivide said:

I'm having a problem trying to figure out what I should put for the paths when installing this.  I have syncthing installed and am using the following paths.  For Resilio I'm just not sure what to put for the /download path.

The delugetorrents is the name of an unassigned disk and on there is a folder where I have syncthing downloading the files to so Sonarr picks them up.  I'd like Resilio to use the same.  Can I have the /sync and /downloads the same?

Syncthing

Resilio

depends on use case but yes you could.

for me i never use the download. i just want sync.

i have mine set to sync -  mnt/user/

and           download -  mnt/user/download

but for me i sync folders that are in /user as separate jobs.

so your question is not an easy one to answer but i would say try it and then tell us if there is an issue.

• 4 months later...

Agent Run Out Of System Notify Watchers

Fixed (Unraid Terminal)

open terminal (the icon that looks like (>_) on the top right of the main unraid gui on and type

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

This tells you how many watchers you have (8192 is stock), to change the amount, type     

sudo sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches=      

followed by the number of watchers needed.

There website says some os's only support 524288 and setting it higher does nothing BUT at 1048576 i still get the error and at 4194304 I don't so unraid ISN'T effected by this

I use

sudo sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches=4194304

DO NOT SET ABOVE 2147483647

You can set this once and forget it (doesn't need resetting on boot)

Just wanted to share this with anyone who might have the same issue

• 1 month later...

I got the container installed, it seems to be fully operational, I shared a folder, it seems to be sharing the folder, but when my peers click they link, they just get... the folder without any of the contents. Resilio can see the files, because when I added the folder it spent about 10 minutes indexing about 25 gb of files.

Could be a port thing? I forwarded the listening port on the router to my UNRAID. 

Would love some ideas.

4 hours ago, rbmatt1s said:

I got the container installed, it seems to be fully operational, I shared a folder, it seems to be sharing the folder, but when my peers click they link, they just get... the folder without any of the contents. Resilio can see the files, because when I added the folder it spent about 10 minutes indexing about 25 gb of files.

Could be a port thing? I forwarded the listening port on the router to my UNRAID. 

Would love some ideas.

How many remote files can the clients see?

20 hours ago, Froberg said:

How many remote files can the clients see?

Very odd. After a while it started working. Is there some kind of invisible process where for the first, I don't know, hour, on the backend the Resilio Sync client needs to download a .torrent file so there is something happening that is simply invisible to the users and myself?

5 hours ago, rbmatt1s said:

Very odd. After a while it started working. Is there some kind of invisible process where for the first, I don't know, hour, on the backend the Resilio Sync client needs to download a .torrent file so there is something happening that is simply invisible to the users and myself?

It takes a while to index the files before transferring starts usually. An hour seems like a long time though.

Hello!! I love the linuxserver version of Resilio Sync, really simpler to use and install, but have a question:

now I need resilios sync watch various directories, im working with docker on my Synology NAS, and there are folders located on different shared folders.

in the official docker image of Resilio sync is as simple as put this path to any folder you want Resilio communicate: "/mnt/mounted_folders/your-folder"

there is any way linuxserver version can do something similar to the official image? 

and btw too, what is the difference between the linuxserver version and the official docker image? because the linuxserver is updated oftenly and the official has 7 months with no updates.

thank you! and sorry for my bad English! 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having speed problems?

Download speed is good minute or two and then it will drop fast from 60-80 MB/s to few hundred kb/s and stays there until restart. Same thing happens with linuxserver syncthing docker image. (there is more discussion in syncthing topic) I have tried with docker and VM simultaneously and problems exist only with docker. Same settings and remote servers. Any idea what can cause this?

Docker and VM both uses cache drive

unRAID version: 6.9.0-beta35

Edited by VoNpo
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, tmor2 said:

Can someone please explain the difference between these two Resilio apps by linuxserver??

I installed long time ago the one on the right.

absj123.jpg

Hi,

Meanwhile, I realized that the red "X" stands for "Remove from Private Registry".

I guess there are two linux "resilio sunc" apps because these are from  two different repositores. (linuxserver vs DockerHub)

How do I switch from private to official "resilio sync" without de/install and re-setting up all syncs?

Edited by tmor2
  • 1 month later...

Been running resilio sync for years but been using the Limetech template.  Been cleaning up my containers and moving any I can to Linuxserver versions as they seem to be updated often and actually managed.

Is there a guide anywhere to convert from Limetech's version? I tried to mirror all the settings and map same folders and when I fire up the Linuxserver version it asks me to create a user name and password which tells me it's not seeing the config folder from my Limetech's version.

Anyone have some thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

Daniel

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...