Installing Windows 7 VM, Stuck at Starting Windows [SOLVED]

Hello!

I was about to start a new VM, running Windows 7.

I already have a VM running Windows 10, no problems.

But now when I tried installing a Windows 7 VM I'm getting stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen.

I have fiddled around with the settings changing both OVMF and SeaBIOS and so on but nothing does the trick.

Tried to follow the FAQ but that didn't change anything.

This screen is right after the "windows is loading files..."

I have tried 2 different .iso's files so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas how to get a Windows 7 VM up and running?

Thanks in advance,

TrueType

4caaa4784b00890707e9bc17cc319498.png

b90a0b666ea24d90fd3a80077d25e698.png

Just my opinion, but I think it's time to start a VM FAQ.  I haven't before because I'm a VM novice, and it hadn't seem needed.  But I'm seeing more repeated questions now, where a FAQ could be a help, to those of you being so helpful.  I can do moderator stuff, set it up and protect it, but it will need you VM-smart people to add content to it, and maintain the Q's as they evolve with each release.  Any objections or suggestions?

I would think that anything like that should be started as a wiki article rather than a forum option as it would be far easier to maintain

Except that its far easier to get people to contribute to a FAQ within the forums than within the wiki.  unRaid's wiki sucks, and probably always will because of the lack of interest in maintaining it.

Just my opinion, but I think it's time to start a VM FAQ.  I haven't before because I'm a VM novice, and it hadn't seem needed.  But I'm seeing more repeated questions now, where a FAQ could be a help, to those of you being so helpful.  I can do moderator stuff, set it up and protect it, but it will need you VM-smart people to add content to it, and maintain the Q's as they evolve with each release.  Any objections or suggestions?

I'm not a VM guy around here (don't see the cost vs benefit for my usage case) but my vote would be for the thread, but the wiki.  Now, if the wiki ever had a major reorganization to make it as easy to use as say Kodi's wiki, then I might revise my opinion, but since that's probably not going to happen, go with what works in the unRaid community -> the forum

I would think that anything like that should be started as a wiki article rather than a forum option as it would be far easier to maintain

I would really like to agree with you, because I like wikis, and almost everything about the concept of wikis, but it's REALLY hard to get others to contribute.  Currently, I think it's only fireball3 and myself, and once in awhile jonp (who does the best work because he adds graphics!).  So I have to agree with Squid, because we have had far better participation in the general and Docker FAQ's, here on the forums.

But I'd really like to hear from those who would use it, and add content to it.  If they aren't interested, there's no point in doing it.

3 FAQ entries I can think of quickly are this cirrus tip, the 'set CPU's to 1' tip, and 'if it's not visible click the Advanced button' tip.  And I know I have seen others too.  Could probably have a whole section on Windows.  Another on pass-through issues.  Plus it would be a good place for a reference type FAQ entry, how to get started, pointers to videos and guides, etc.

• 3 months later...

Worked for me too (switching to Cirrus).

But since changing back my screen is mostly black. First after moving the cursor the screen gets refreshed bit by bit. The easiest way is to open Explorer and maximize it. Is that normal? I have the virtio cd driver installed and can also change the resolution.