UnRAID 6.2.0 and above on ESXi 6.0.0 very slow and unusable

I upgrade from unRAID 5.0.4 to 6.1.7 on ESXi 6.0.0 back in January with no issues.  I am booting via a VMDK and everything has been rock solid and boots very quickly.

I have been trying to upgrade to 6.2.0, 6.2.1, and today 6.2.3 but I can’t get any of these versions to run in a usable fashion.  They will boot but much slower than 6.1.7 and then the system is soooo slow it is unusable.  Once the system boots and I can log into the WEB interface I am looking at the “Main” page.  When I select any of the other pages (Settings, Plugins, Stats, Tools, etc.) it will take at least 3 minutes for the page to refresh the browser.  Has anyone seen anything like this?

I upgrade from unRAID 5.0.4 to 6.1.7 on ESXi 6.0.0 back in January with no issues.  I am booting via a VMDK and everything has been rock solid and boots very quickly.

I have been trying to upgrade to 6.2.0, 6.2.1, and today 6.2.3 but I can’t get any of these versions to run in a usable fashion.  They will boot but much slower than 6.1.7 and then the system is soooo slow it is unusable.  Once the system boots and I can log into the WEB interface I am looking at the “Main” page.  When I select any of the other pages (Settings, Plugins, Stats, Tools, etc.) it will take at least 3 minutes for the page to refresh the browser.  Has anyone seen anything like this?

looks like you encountered this issue: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40605.0

i'm still on 6.1.9 due to this happening on my system too on 6.2.x

• 2 weeks later...

Check your logs for avahi errors.

Aug  5 13:52:02 DarkTower emhttp: shcmd (20782): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon start |& logger
Aug  5 13:52:02 DarkTower root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Aug  5 13:52:02 DarkTower avahi-daemon[20325]: Failed to find user 'avahi'.

If you see the failed to find user error, you need to add it to your /etc/passwd file.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52628.msg509201#msg509201

Happened to see your post in the 1.1 thread and looked at your log.  You are getting the avahi not found error. 

Nov  3 10:36:23 TMCINAS02 root: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Nov  3 10:36:23 TMCINAS02 avahi-daemon[9528]: Failed to find user 'avahi'.
Nov  3 10:36:43 TMCINAS02 root: Timeout reached while wating for return value

If you follow John_M's advice I bet it fixes it for you.  If they don't exist just add the 2 avahi lines at the bottom.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50635.msg488473#msg488473

On my system, which doesn't have your problem, I have:

root@Lapulapu:~# ps aux | grep avahi    
avahi    15421  0.0  0.0  34496  3188 ?        S    Jul28   0:47 avahi-daemon: running [Lapulapu.local]
avahi    15422  0.0  0.0  34236   260 ?        S    Jul28   0:00 avahi-daemon: chroot helper
root     15430  0.0  0.0  12752   112 ?        S    Jul28   0:00 /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
root     27979  0.0  0.0   9656  1860 pts/1    S+   13:50   0:00 grep avahi

root@Lapulapu:~# grep avahi /etc/passwd 
avahi:x:61:214:Avahi Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false
avahi-autoipd:x:62:62:Avahi AutoIP Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false

Notice that the avahi-daemon is running under the avahi UID. According to the third line of your syslog your system can't find the avahi user. What output do those two commands give on your system? Perhaps your /etc/passwd file has got corrupted, which is odd as it's loaded fresh with each reboot. Perhaps your flash device has got corrupted or your download of unRAID was damaged.

• 1 month later...

fotd,

I want to thank you for responding.  I was working on my server today and decided to look back through the forums to see if anyone had any idea of how to fix the issue I was running into.  This was the exact issue my server was having.

I also see that RobJ has a FAQ about the issue and how to fix it.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48508.msg515980#msg515980