Unraid guest on Server 2016 host

Hi all! I just upgraded myself from a long-time forum leach to a forum member. I attempted this a few years ago but my primary email address never gets the verification emails....but to the point of this post:

I have been reading post after post about unraid as a guest in hyper-v. Since hyper-v in Server 2016 supports hardware passthrough, I am going to test it out tonight to see if I can get it working! I read somewhere that they included NIC drivers in a past update. I am hoping they are still there.

If someone gets to this before I get off work today, do you know if someone has already tried in Server 2016 hyper-v? I'd like to save some time if I know it will not work... If not I will report back and let you guys know how this turned out!

So after a few hours of trying, I have failed to make this happen. Server 2016 supports PCIe passthrough. If I get a PCIe USB hub (that is hopefully compatible with unraid) and pass that through (if it is compatible for passthrough in Windows) then theoretically unraid should boot up and work, right? Maybe? Thoughts?

Windows 2016 doesn`t support USB passthrough, https://hyperv.veeam.com/blog/new-features-windows-server-hyper-v-2016/ .

However your workaround sounds doable, you should try this ( get the usb pci`d card ) and try to pass that through.

If that doesn`t work, why don`t you try ESXI?

I`ve just done a build, it`s a bit of hassle, but it works fine, and because I already had some hyper-v virtual machines, I`ve created a 2016 server virtual machine, and within that, i run all my old virtual machines, ( hope it makes sense :) )

• 1 year later...

Super late reply on this topic, but just in case anyone reads this and tries it....don't. The PCI USB card being passed through to unraid did not work. Fortunately, Best Buy takes returns :)

I did not use ESXi because I wanted to take advantage of using AVMA keys on guests under Server 2016 Datacenter, which I have a full product key for (Kind of...thanks DreamSpark!). I had ESXi set up before and found that solution to work great. I just have this nerd problem where I like to take something that works completely fine and change it.

My final solution is to run unraid on one box and Server 2016 with hyper-v on another, since AVMA keys will obviously not work under unraid.