Hard Drive Failure

shimee

Hi guys,

I have just noticed I have a hard disk out. It is relatively new drive (WD RED 3.0TB) and the most recent drive I added, it was about 3months ago. Anyway it has a red x on it and says 'Disabled - Contents Emulated'. I have checked all the connections, restarted the array and the server itself but the drive still appears offline.

My question is how do I get additional details on the failure? Do I just accept it is a dead drive and replace it? Are there some troubleshooting steps I can go through.

I notice the status of the array is 'Started -Array Unprotected'. This concerns me, I didn't think the array would be unprotected so long as the parity was ok?

Unfortunately (or perhaps in a way fortunately) in over 20 years of computing I haven't had a drive fail, and for that reason I haven't kept proof of purchase, so I am really hoping this drive is ok.

Unraid 6.2.1 (will update once I solve this)

I've attached the diagnostics archive.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: the disk in question is sdi - WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N6USTZ0N - 3 TB (sdi)

tower-diagnostics-20161106-1027.zip

SMART looks OK. Search wiki or forum for contents emulated. See search tips in my sig.

This has got to be one of the most frequently discussed things here.

Parity by itself cannot protect. If any drive is disabled then all are unprotected. All other drives are required to rebuild a disabled drive'