what to do with spare unRAID system?

kgregg

i have a licensed unRAID system that I am not using.  any ideas how i can put it to use?  it is a mid range AMD CPU, maybe 8 TB capacity. Built it for my son earlier this year but he is showing no interest in using it (he actually prefers to use my unRAID system for tv/movie watching).  It has been powered off for a few months now. 

i have a licensed unRAID system that I am not using.  any ideas how i can put it to use?  it is a mid range AMD CPU, maybe 8 TB capacity. Built it for my son earlier this year but he is showing no interest in using it (he actually prefers to use my unRAID system for tv/movie watching).  It has been powered off for a few months now.

Full backup of the primary server?

Full backup of the primary server?

This is what I did with my backup server.  I have Resilio (formerly BTSync) docker running on both, keeping them in sync in real time.  I love the setup.

This is what I did with my backup server.  I have Resilio (formerly BTSync) docker running on both, keeping them in sync in real time.  I love the setup.

I don't know Resilio, and your use case may be completely different from mine, but I always take the view that automated syncs or backups are the fastest way to replicate screw-ups like accidental file or folder deletions.  Consequently I always choose never to have automated syncing between my servers.  If the backup supports some kind of version control, then real-time syncing may be OK, but I prefer to run my rsync backup scripts manually when I know that I have the files I need where I need them.  For Windows to unRAID syncs I use Freefilesync, adopting the same philosophy - that I can preview what will happen before I hit the sync button. 

Automated backups are fine as long as your settings don't result in deletions on the backup server.

I use SyncBack (running on a Windows box) to backup my servers.  I have it set so it does NOT mirror the servers -- it just backs up the servers to my backup server.  So a file that's been deleted from the server will still be on the backup server (which would not be true if it was set to "mirror" the server to its backup).

I actually have two profiles for the backups -- the one that automatically runs (which does as I just outlined); and one set to "mirror", so if I DO want any files/folders that have been deleted from the server to be deleted from the backup I can just run it (manually).

Automated backups are fine as long as your settings don't result in deletions on the backup server.

I use SyncBack (running on a Windows box) to backup my servers.  I have it set so it does NOT mirror the servers -- it just backs up the servers to my backup server.  So a file that's been deleted from the server will still be on the backup server (which would not be true if it was set to "mirror" the server to its backup).

I actually have two profiles for the backups -- the one that automatically runs (which does as I just outlined); and one set to "mirror", so if I DO want any files/folders that have been deleted from the server to be deleted from the backup I can just run it (manually).

Yep, this.

Yep, this.

Or just install the crashplan docker on both system and backup from your main system to the backup.. The whole thing is then unattended, unlimited versions of changed files (if you want), deleted files are kept etc. etc... And its free.

Yep, this.

Or just install the crashplan docker on both system and backup from your main system to the backup.. The whole thing is then unattended, unlimited versions of changed files (if you want), deleted files are kept etc. etc... And its free.

I hope others have better luck with crashplan than I did. I tried it out before going with btsync. It worked, ish, but was painfully slow. Btsync worked better for me, fast, easy, free.

Yep, this.

I hope others have better luck with crashplan than I did. I tried it out before going with btsync. It worked, ish, but was painfully slow. Btsync worked better for me, fast, easy, free.

Its not slow at all... At least not when you backup to your own backup server, when you backup to there cloud its to slow.. Write speeds are fine in my case towards my own system..

Its not slow at all... At least not when you backup to your own backup server, when you backup to there cloud its to slow.. Write speeds are fine in my case towards my own system..

Good to know, maybe I'll check it out again at some point.  It's been a while since I tried it.  I just remember preferring BTSync at the time.