unRAID Server Version 6.2.4 Available

limetech

There have been various improvements to the shutdown processes, so it would be useful to hear if there are still shutdown issues, using this latest version, especially from those who have had issues with shutting down in the past.

What information would be useful? Mine seems to hang since I no longer have Powerdown. Still on 6.2.2 while I wait for a parity rebuild and check to finish. Are any logs/diagnostics preserved now on reboot?

First I'd upgrade to 6.2.4.

Then try a shutdown and see if it works okay => if it hangs, it's now supposed to generate a log file that will provide some feedback for LimeTech to review so Tom can continue to improve the shutdown process.

LimeTech's goal has been to eliminate the need for the PowerDown plugin ... and dlandon is no longer supporting versions beyond 6.2

You may want to read this thread:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51983.90

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been various improvements to the shutdown processes, so it would be useful to hear if there are still shutdown issues, using this latest version, especially from those who have had issues with shutting down in the past.

What information would be useful? Mine seems to hang since I no longer have Powerdown. Still on 6.2.2 while I wait for a parity rebuild and check to finish. Are any logs/diagnostics preserved now on reboot?

Then try a shutdown and see if it works okay => if it hangs, it's now supposed to generate a log file that will provide some feedback for LimeTech to review so Tom can continue to improve the shutdown process.

LimeTech's goal has been to eliminate the need for the PowerDown plugin ... and dlandon is no longer supporting versions beyond 6.2

You may want to read this thread:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51983.90

Ok. Updated to 6.2.4 and rebooted with dockers stopped and array offline. No problems.

Rebooted again using the GUI Power Button. Dockers running. Array started. Failed to shutdown properly (hung). Had to run reboot from telnet. The array was stopped after reboot completed even though it was running when I first initiated the reboot. I'm guessing it had stopped by the time I telneted in???

Diagnostics attached but I don't see anything in there from before the reboot. If there's some other file just let me know.

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20161107-2138.zip

Ok. Updated to 6.2.4 and rebooted with dockers stopped and array offline. No problems.

Rebooted again using the GUI Power Button. Dockers running. Array started. Failed to shutdown properly (hung).

How long did you wait? IIRC, the timeout process is fairly long, and the GUI won't respond until it's done.

Rebooted again using the GUI Power Button. Dockers running. Array started. Failed to shutdown properly (hung).

How long did you wait? IIRC, the timeout process is fairly long, and the GUI won't respond until it's done.

FWIW, the Power Down Button plugin is no longer working for me since any of the 6.2+ updates. I think it's because I no longer have powerdown plugin. I was wondering if that power button plugin is sending the powerdown -r command which doesn't exist anymore? I have had very little time to do much of anything with unRAID other than try and keep up with this crazy amount of updates (kudos!).

It was 5 minutes when I decided to telnet in. Probably another minute or so to log in and run the reboot command.

Thanks for the link.  I should qualify my original post by saying the Powerdown plugin was active on my server during these delayed shutdowns.  I was aware about some issues with this plugin and 6.2 but I wasn't entirely sure if we should keep using it or not?  Based on what I read in the link you provided, should I remove it now in 6.2.4 or should I wait for 6.3 final (no plan to use an rc or beta at this point)?

I had an issue today. About 10hrs after i upgraded to v6.2.4 from v6.2.3.

First the Windows 10 VM with Nvidia passthrough fell off the network. Then the mouse started to act erratically. I rebooted the VM from within Windows but it hung on Restarting for over 30mins.

I tried to connect to the server via web browser but i could not proceed past the login. Then I SSL into the server and tried to reboot it from the command line. It said it worked but it didn't. The last step was pulling the power chord.

The server and Windows 10 VM are now working again.

I notice every few upgrades, the VM fails to boot properly on the first boot after an upgrade. Then the issue resolves itself. Next time it happens i will post a log file.

I just experienced my first hiccup with my Win10 VM (nvidia 1070 passed through) in a long long time. Only thing I did recently was update to 6.2.4.

I rebooted the VM from the Windows GUI and after logging in, the screen just goes black. So then I tried a shut down of the VM from the unRAID GUI and it wouldn't shut down. I had to force stop the VM. Upon reboot of the VM, it goes to the same black screen after logging in.

I'm rebooting the unRAID server to see if that does anything.

edit: Now my VM is just hanging at logging on. This was after seeing two blue screens: one about trying to write memory to read only followed by a system exception not handled. I'm stuck with a non-working VM now!

edit2: Luckily I had a backup of the VM on the array from two weeks ago. I pointed the VM to use that disk and it boot fine. Do qcow2 files go bad? It's a 300GB whopper!

After copying the VM disk from my array back to my SSD, the VM boots but is stuck at the windows 10 logo and spinning circle. I've turned off the GTX 1070 passthrough and just using VNC for simplicity's sake.

I'm baffled as to what is wrong! The VM disk on the array boot just fine last night as a test. Why on earth won't it boot now after I copied it with midnight commander to my SSD?

After copying the VM disk from my array back to my SSD, the VM boots but is stuck at the windows 10 logo and spinning circle. I've turned off the GTX 1070 passthrough and just using VNC for simplicity's sake.

I'm baffled as to what is wrong! The VM disk on the array boot just fine last night as a test. Why on earth won't it boot now after I copied it with midnight commander to my SSD?

Make sure that you didn't miss any system or hidden files when you did the copy.  (Some file managers don't automatically display/transfer those files.)

I had an issue today. About 10hrs after i upgraded to v6.2.4 from v6.2.3.

First the Windows 10 VM with Nvidia passthrough fell off the network. Then the mouse started to act erratically. I rebooted the VM from within Windows but it hung on Restarting for over 30mins.

I tried to connect to the server via web browser but i could not proceed past the login. Then I SSL into the server and tried to reboot it from the command line. It said it worked but it didn't. The last step was pulling the power chord.

The server and Windows 10 VM are now working again.

I notice every few upgrades, the VM fails to boot properly on the first boot after an upgrade. Then the issue resolves itself. Next time it happens i will post a log file.

Hi Chris,

There isn't really enough information in your post to diagnose what's going on.  First and foremost, how are you assigning a USB mouse to the VM?  Are you passing through an entire USB controller or are you just assigning the mouse using the web interface of unRAID itself.  When you say the VM dropped off the network, do you mean the VM couldn't get out to the Internet or any local systems?

Also, when was the last time you upgraded your VirtIO drivers inside the guest VM?

Lastly, please try to collect diagnostics when these things happen and post them here.  Without those diagnostics, we can't diagnose.

Make sure that you didn't miss any system or hidden files when you did the copy.  (Some file managers don't automatically display/transfer those files.)

I used midnight commander to copy the .qcow2 file from cache to array. Would that miss any files?

I used midnight commander to copy the .qcow2 file from cache to array. Would that miss any files?

I am not sure.  But if you use      ls -al      from the command line, it will show all of the files.

I am not sure.  But if you use      ls -al      from the command line, it will show all of the files.

Vdisk is a single file, but I recommend using cp to keep the vdisk sparse, you'll lose that using MC.

Vdisk is a single file, but I recommend using cp to keep the vdisk sparse, you'll lose that using MC.

Good to know. Thanks.